cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SKYBOX VR Video Player] New updates on SKYBOX's Development

Skybox.xyz
Level 4

Hi friends,

We are SKYBOX STUDIO, developer of the SKYBOX VR Video Player.

Firstly we want to say sorry about our negligence upon the release of Quest 2. 
2020 was difficult for us: less money, less staff, no DevKits, nearly non development progress.
Yet we survived and now we are trying very hard to speed up the development to support more features in 2021.

Here are some major changes about SKYBOX that we want you to know:
1. SKYBOX 
Cross Buy among Quest and Rift version offered starting from Feb. 19th 2021 (finally Oculus approved)
2. If you have paid for SKYBOX Go/Gear version, please contact us to get free access to Quest version (also plz help us spread the word).
3. SKYBOX Quest version will be priced at $9.99 
starting from Feb. 19th 2021

Meanwhile, it comes to our attention that quite a few people are experiencing bugs related to SMB and DLNA feature, such as the following issues:
# Report "Network Error" when trying to connect a server
# App crash when connecting to certain server
# Cannot find certain DLNA servers
# Report "An Error has Occured" when trying to play certain files

If you encounter those mentioned above (or other related issues), please contact us at support@skybox.xyz so we could have you in the beta channel to test the upcoming Quest v1.0.2 (expecting to release in beta channel on Mar. 9th 2021)
We intend to fix all network-related bug in this new version.

Here are the roadmap for
 2021 Q1:

1. SMBv3 support
  2. Manually input IP address to search SMB server
  3. [Beta Channel] Hand Tracking Support on Quest 1 & 2
  4. [Beta Channel] 90Hz support on Quest 2
  5. Hardware decoding for high-resolution videos on Rift & Steam version

On the other hand, you may find that the response to emails/posts is a bit slow now.
That is because that there is only one me and many of you (which I'm very grateful).
I'll be sure to response to you as soon as possible and I really appreciate your patience.

We are hoping to get more people to work on the project and things would become smoother once we have more people.

Thank you for bearing with us and we promise to make SKYBOX better and better for you to enjoy 🙂

Cheers,

Yum

8 REPLIES 8

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Nice to see this continually developed and deserves a like just for cross-buy.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

RuneSR2
Level 16

Agreed, it's my favorite VR movie player by far. Totally turns Index into a movie theater with the fov - and 144 Hz (6 x 24 fps) work perfectly for movies - res 200% and 144 Hz don't require a fast gpu in this app. 

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

RuneSR2 said:

Agreed, it's my favorite VR movie player by far. Totally turns Index into a movie theater with the fov - and 144 Hz (6 x 24 fps) work perfectly for movies - res 200% and 144 Hz don't require a fast gpu in this app. 

Yep, it also adopts that simple method of repositioning the screen just using the grab trigger and changing size with the thumbstick up & down, YouTube does the same and you'd think all media apps would do it this way. But Netflix has you clicking on a button to do either action then moving your head to reposition, then confirming with another click... then moving your head back and realizing it's not quite right... amazon Prime is similar, really annoying and so easy to get right!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

aguy10
Level 6
I already bought them for the Go and Quest 2 :(.

Skybox.xyz
Level 4

aguy10 said:

I already bought them for the Go and Quest 2 :(.

If you need Rift version we'd be happy to offer you for free. Just send us an email at support@skybox.xyz 🙂

Nunyabinez
Level 8
I just want to say this this is an awesome app and worth every penny. I use Plex at home and was disappointed that there was no Plex client. But Skybox works just as well for me. All I had to do was share the drive online and use the network feature all my videos are available on Skybox.

Love the app. If you don't have it, get it!

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

OmegaM4N
Level 11

I was dubious about paying for this app but once i did it was great, turned my useless Quest 2 the perfect Go II media player, and watching classic Dr Who on what seems like a 200 foot cinema screen is a joy to behold, well worth the £7.99.

rklevy
Level 2

Been trying to use Skybox (I have used it, many times before), but now it asks for a username & password-neither of which I have ever used before. Any advice?