cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side effects

MikeMagnum
Protege
Ok I’ve had my quest now for 5 days now and experiencing side effects from day 3 so thought I’d set this up and see if anyone else has experienced any side effects. 
. Day 5 Everything I look at outside of VR seems to have added depth and my head and vision just feels weird and the room is moving slightly but very noticeably as I focus on things in my room , the walls the floor etc. Everything looks so bold. As I’m writing this on my phone I know that my surroundings are  kind of tilting left to right. Upon standing up my surroundings are not as they should be.  On venturing out a couple of times I’ve had feelings that I’m about to be sick but it’s come and gone no sooner as it’s arrived.  My head and my vision is what’s causing what I see obviously to do with my time in the Quest. It’s very hard to explain my symptoms but I feel my description isn’t doing it justice 
8 REPLIES 8

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Sounds like VR induced motion sickness, have you tried the ginger trick ? Plus also, it might be worth getting an eye test to rule out any issues you're unaware of.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

enigma01
Trustee
Jeez, for how many hours during those last 5 days have you actually been using your Quest... have you slept or taken any breaks?I’ve only ever had minor side effects from gaming when I was younger and sometimes would play on my console pretty much all day. But nothing as severe as what you’re describing. I’ve had no side effects from playing my Quest at all, I don’t usually use it for more than two hours a session. If you’re having these side effects after ‘normal’ usage, I think you should probably stop using it. 

falken76
Expert Consultant
VR Motion sickness.  Your body will get used to VR soon don't worry.  It'll go away soon, then you'll be fine in VR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My 7 year-old son just spent 2 full hours in the Rift this afternoon, I'm such a great dad  😄 

Many will experience some nausea for a start, if that happens remember to take a break every 30 minutes or so. Also lower refresh rates on the Quest (72 hz) may prolong the time your brain needs to adapt, but I've seen no scientific studies of this. Generally it's believed that higher refresh rates reduce VR nausea - and limit exposure to VR games with full locomotion and smooth turninig for a start.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

earthberth
Expert Protege
I also experience a slightly moving room in reality sometimes and I have the feeling it's due to some hiccups or frame drops you sometimes get in VR.

StayPuft83
Protege
You will probably get used to it after a while, as many have said. Myself, I never had anything that intense. But, for a little while, when I would first get out of VR the real world would feel sort of "weird" for a few minutes. I honestly don't even know how to describe it. Just my head would feel weird for a bit. Not good, not bad, just weird. I'd adjust back to normal before long and after a while I no longer get that feeling at all after VR.

MikeMagnum
Protege

I’ll add that I haven't done any gaming yet as i’m not much of a gamer. My uses have been for watching 180 and 360 videos.

This morning was like when you’ve been out the night before and you wake up and your still a bit drunk that things you focus on have slight motion to them  Very conscious that my head just didn’t feel right. Things like walls definitely look like they’re moving slightly when I focus on them. 

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
I used to get occasional "frame skips" in the real world after I first got my Rift.
It has not happend for about 8 months or so now, so think I am fully assimilated!

I found it quite weird at the start. it even occured when in bed, with my eyes closed, the images in my head would experience the same "image slip"!

It is as if my brain was "expecting" a little image jitter so was inserting one for good measure! 🙂

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."