cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So we have to repurchase games?

Scaramoosh
Protege
I was hoping to download games I already own on the store.... but the ones I own like Superhot want to be purchased again.... no thanks. 

If if this is the case the headset it going straight back.
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/ lists games known to be (and not to be) cross-buy.

None of the cross-buy games that I already own for Rift are showing up in the Quest library. No Thumper, no The Climb, no Robo Recall. I'll give it a couple of days, perhaps they're still getting their shit together.

/Edit: Aha! Thanks nalex66, they are indeed showing as "free" in the shop! Fab. Or some are - Thumper is still pay for, and The Climb isn't in there (yet). Robo Recall and Space Pirate Trainer got free though.

Bit peeved by Beat Saber not being cross-buy.

Thumper is supposed to be cross-buy, so I'd hold off on buying it again. The store page says "Supports Quest and Rift," which seems to be the way cross-buy support is indicated. It would be nice if it was made more clear on the store, but from looking at all Quest titles, the ones with cross-buy mention both platforms, and the ones without (like Beat Saber and SuperHot) only mention Quest or Rift on their respective stores. It might be worth reaching out to the dev and asking about Thumper.

jfqcjx5q7657.jpgq10ftt4lypd3.jpg

Thanks for the info about "supports quest, rift" indicating the title is cross-buy.  I was trying to figure out how to determine that without resorting to a 3rd party web site.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget it then, they could have at the very least had a cheap option for people who already own the game... not rebuking the whole library at those prices.. are they mental? This should be an all in one store. 

The devs spend numerous hours to create the game for pc, then have to put in numerous hours to downgrade the game to be able to play on the Quest without any glitches. It's not an instant convert. If they want to give you the app for free, then that's on them. It's not a given, and shouldn't be expected.

shaneosan
Honored Guest
I highly doubt it takes very much for the developers to run their code through a Quest compiler to get some semblance of a working game. They may need to redo some of the textures and whatnot but ... honestly there should be enough new Quest buyers to warrant any game being cross buy unless they had to build the game up from scratch.

Just because they tell you it takes a lot of time and effort doesn’t make it true. Don’t believe the hype.

Maybe I am wrong. I’d love to hear from a developer that does support cross buy.

I'm not convinced it's as easy as recompile with reduced textures. I'm doing a model of London for a VR project for example and reducing vertices alone would be a major undertaking... it's a case of deciding what detail is necessary and what isn't and probably not something I could leave to a 'level of detail' slider in the compilation software.

There may be changes needed to the amount of AI actors or reduction in the complexity of each individual actor's AI.
There may be difficulty rebalancing needed if the Quest version of a game is to be cross-play with the Rift version without giving one or other an advantage (even if it isn't cross-play, it may use a shared leader-board).
There may be allowances needed for variations in tracking brought about by the different camera locations and limits.

I'm no expert developer, just a beginner and there are probably a dozen other factors to consider when adapting for a platform with such a different memory limit and processing power limit. 

falken76
Expert Consultant

I was hoping to download games I already own on the store.... but the ones I own like Superhot want to be purchased again.... no thanks. 

If if this is the case the headset it going straight back.

Might as well return it, it's up to the developer and most want money.  I get it, I don't know how I'd feel about it, but I would probably just buy the games again.  Of course that's easy for me to say since that would only be one purchase, for Onward if it ever got released...

falken76
Expert Consultant

DASFREAK said:

I love the concept of the cross-buy for the games on the Quest. For me, I would definitely buy more games because of it. I love the idea of playing the same game on my wired system at home and wirelessly while not. In my opinion this will help to sell more Quests as I can show more people how fun VR is. I just wish the games were cross-buyed with the VIVE/steam store to. I own a VIVE and want to make the jump to the Quest, but I own a lot of game in the Steam store that are on the launch list of games for the Quest. I just don't want to have to re-buy my favorites right after I just bought a new system.    Maybe they could offer a onetime chance to select a few cross-buyed games from your Steam account to transfer over to Oculus account for free.  That would be awesome at least. There got to be a way, it science.  

As long as the "science" has a monetary route for the devs I see no problems, your fantasy scenerio shows no revenue stream for the devs who have to port these games that take actual work.  Is there a way to work that into the "science"?  If I were a dev I wouldn't waste time porting for no compensation, I'd evaluate the platforms and only design for the one that brings in the most money.  I think a lot will chose that route and unfortunately for me that means Quest, not PCVR will be the route that shows the path for more cash for those that make content....

falken76
Expert Consultant

shaneosan said:

I highly doubt it takes very much for the developers to run their code through a Quest compiler to get some semblance of a working game. They may need to redo some of the textures and whatnot but ... honestly there should be enough new Quest buyers to warrant any game being cross buy unless they had to build the game up from scratch.

Just because they tell you it takes a lot of time and effort doesn’t make it true. Don’t believe the hype.

Maybe I am wrong. I’d love to hear from a developer that does support cross buy.

Ok, so you have no clue, don't believe the hype, you could be wrong but you don't believe it.  It's not as easy as pushing a button and maybe doing a new few textures.  If it was a push button "Make it work on quest" in the game dev engine, sure that would be awesome but it certainly doesn't work like that at all.  You seem to allude to the fact that this may be the case.