cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Clarifications

Fufurata
Level 2

Hi all,

Maybe my questions are too simple, but I would appreciate if people find time answer them. Currently I am thinking about purchasing quest 2, but need some clarifications. Fact is that if I ever purchase quest 2 I will do it not to play games from oculus store - I have zero interest in them. But I would like to play games like Skyrim VR and other games that have oculus support. I know you can play pc games on quest 2  and I know about 2 ways to do it (cable and wireless), but what I want to know will I need to go trough additional whoops?

1. Can I just launch game on my pc and play it, without any additional steps as launching oculus store, steam or any other abomination?

2. Does it worth it? I know that many VR games are buggy, they have problems with certain  platforms etc. So to explain my attitude towards it I am ready to have 0-2 problems (10 point scale) to launch and play game. I am not going above that, cause playing some blurry game does not worth more my time. That's why I would ask experienced users - how much problems should I expect?

3. How better quest 2 graphics is compared to previous one? Again - does it worth it or no. As far as I know previous rift quality was on pair of 90's games, which is unacceptable for me. VR is not a reason to play blurry games with terrible graphics. Is quest 2 on pair at least with 10 years old games?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I think it depends on which hoops are more of a problem than others.

Most VR games purchased from Steam require SteamVR to be running in order for the game to run as it's an essential driver for the headsets. With all PCVR games running on an Oculus headset (whether Steam of Oculus bought, the Oculus software must be running as it contains the essential Oculus drivers.

As with any non-VR PC game, you can create shortcuts to the VR game to keep on your desktop or anywhere else, so you can launch the game while keeping Steam or Oculus fairly unobtrusive. Steam lets you create the shortcuts easily from within the app but for Oculus game you have to create them manually.

I guess the thinking there is that running from a desktop shortcut is more cumbersome than just putting on the headset and choosing the game form the in-headset library. Or choosing it from the Oculus app library because the Oculus app has to be running anyway. 

And that's my point really, that is pretty much the simplest way to run your VR games. Put on the headset and choose the game from the VR library with your VR controller. Games bought on Steam show up in the same in-headset library as your Oculus bought games (occasionally they don't but then you can add them).

I've created shortcuts for all my VR games but I find I don't use them, its simpler to use the app or just put the headset on.

As far as graphical quality is concerned, I'm still using the original Quest and Rift-S, I haven't tried the Q2 yet. I thought the CV1 was way better than 90s style graphics but my expectations included knowing how the massive field of view that VR has compared with a monitor would affect detail.

The DKs were probably only for VR enthusiasts but I've stacked up a lot of hours in Fallout and I prefer the Rift-S to 4k monitor use for that particular game, same with several other games.

However, if the detail you get from monitor gaming is your priority, VR is still years away from the pixel density per degree of vision that monitors have because your VR view is much wider...  graphics cards don't exist that can deliver stereo 100 degree vision to that level of detail. Or if you're in any way put of by having to run the Steam or Oculus apps, then VR may not be for you. For others, it's the field of view and immersion of VR that's the priority and we've long since gotten used to Steam and Oculus.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I think it depends on which hoops are more of a problem than others.

Most VR games purchased from Steam require SteamVR to be running in order for the game to run as it's an essential driver for the headsets. With all PCVR games running on an Oculus headset (whether Steam of Oculus bought, the Oculus software must be running as it contains the essential Oculus drivers.

As with any non-VR PC game, you can create shortcuts to the VR game to keep on your desktop or anywhere else, so you can launch the game while keeping Steam or Oculus fairly unobtrusive. Steam lets you create the shortcuts easily from within the app but for Oculus game you have to create them manually.

I guess the thinking there is that running from a desktop shortcut is more cumbersome than just putting on the headset and choosing the game form the in-headset library. Or choosing it from the Oculus app library because the Oculus app has to be running anyway. 

And that's my point really, that is pretty much the simplest way to run your VR games. Put on the headset and choose the game from the VR library with your VR controller. Games bought on Steam show up in the same in-headset library as your Oculus bought games (occasionally they don't but then you can add them).

I've created shortcuts for all my VR games but I find I don't use them, its simpler to use the app or just put the headset on.

As far as graphical quality is concerned, I'm still using the original Quest and Rift-S, I haven't tried the Q2 yet. I thought the CV1 was way better than 90s style graphics but my expectations included knowing how the massive field of view that VR has compared with a monitor would affect detail.

The DKs were probably only for VR enthusiasts but I've stacked up a lot of hours in Fallout and I prefer the Rift-S to 4k monitor use for that particular game, same with several other games.

However, if the detail you get from monitor gaming is your priority, VR is still years away from the pixel density per degree of vision that monitors have because your VR view is much wider...  graphics cards don't exist that can deliver stereo 100 degree vision to that level of detail. Or if you're in any way put of by having to run the Steam or Oculus apps, then VR may not be for you. For others, it's the field of view and immersion of VR that's the priority and we've long since gotten used to Steam and Oculus.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

View solution in original post

Fufurata
Level 2

Thanks.