cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steamvr Stutter with Link?

giodude
Explorer
Hi! I've been using oculus link since its launch, and oculus store games run completely fine. However, when i launch anything through steamvr, i get an odd stuttering effect. It's almost like i'm running at a lower framerate, which shouldn't be the case since i have plenty GPU and CPU headroom, as well as the fact that it happens while i'm just sitting in the steamvr menu. It makes some games like beat saber unplayable while making most other just incredibly annoying. Does anybody else have this issue? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
I made the same experience. 

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have supersampling enabled in SteamVR? If so, maybe try without it. The pc's compressing the stream before sending to the headset, and the more data it needs to compress 'might' slow things down.

giodude
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

Do you have supersampling enabled in SteamVR? If so, maybe try without it. The pc's compressing the stream before sending to the headset, and the more data it needs to compress 'might' slow things down.

Happens regardless if it's at 50 percent or 100 percent. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that sucks.

American_DJ1985
Protege
It was caused by having EIST enabled on my motherboard.  Don't overclock any DDR4 memory and disable the eist setting.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've had occasional stutter in SteamVR using Link. It happened once when I opened the SteamVR overlay by pressing the left menu button--my frame rate dropped very low. I tried it again later, and it worked without issue. Not sure what the issue was, but it was not consistent, making it harder to troubleshoot.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

American_DJ1985
Protege
@nalex66 thanks for the information.  By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB of ram and not so many cuda cores.  My motherboard has a z270 chipset and I have 16GB of DDR 4 3000Mhz.   I have 2evo ssd cards as well.  So its likely the cpu because I noticed 100 percent cpu usage by loading oculus home with lots of custom models I imported.  That led me to believe the processor eist was to blame because I have an overclocked i5 cpu.  

ohgrant
Superstar
  I've only experienced stuttering once in Fallout 4.out of many hours of playing it with the link cable. If anything I'd have to say the Steam VR games I've been playing run smother than with my CV1 with the same 2.0 SS set in Steam VR.
 I have had a few crashes of the link driver but always when I first start up. A restart of the Quest has resolved each time.Once started, it rarely gives any issues, except "Air Car" , that app crashes every time. 
 The only thing I can think of that I'm doing that others are probably not, is using an older NV driver 425.31 for full 3D vision support.  With Ryzen 2700x and 1080ti
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

ohgrant
Superstar

By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB

3GB is 1GB lower than the Oculus minimum specs. I would say your video card is the bottleneck and if you correct that your oasis awaits. JMO . 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.