cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Tracking problems since v25 update + performance issues

Paulocaust
Protege

In the past week I have given up even being able to use my Quest a few times due to tracking issues.

Heres what happens, I power it on and it immediatey says it cannot initiate tracking and gives the option to continue. If I press continue about 20 or 30 times it will start to load the home screen, stop, glitch out then say the same thing about the tracking. Repeat the continue button BS and eventually it will take me to the home environment with no tracking. THEN it will realize that the tracking is working and ask me to set it up again. half the time the floor level will glitch and the floor level starts out 20 feet below the actual floor. This can be corrected by restarting the configuration. Ill then get halfway through redrawing my boundary (while experiencing glitchy low framerates) and the headset will magically FINALLY remember my playspace and quit out of the configuration. Then things work normally. Until that is I either put the headset down for a minute, put it to sleep or shut it off again. In which base I have to go through all the same BS AGAIN.................

This thing worked glassy smooth when I bought it back in November and I never had 1 single issue. At one point in my living room I was even able to use the tracking perfectly with only the christmas lights on. NO ISSUES. I was blown away by how smooth the whole interface was. Now it feels glitchy and cheap.

On top of this Ive had the thing randomely quit out of games multiple times for no apparent reason at all. As well as running Oculus software in a laggy fashion, like running a game thats above your system requirements. Framedrops and artifacts appearing in the visuals. This even happens in the home environment.

If I turn my head quickly in the home environment I can watch the world continue to load from black and pop into view. It breaks immersion, kills framerate and it NEVER did this before the stupid update.

Ive sent 2 bug reports about this and Ive read that many people are experiencing the same thing. No one from occulus seems to respond to any of these threads or even acknowledge the problems. Is there a number I can call?

I have paid for software that I now cant use due to a product that I also paid for. And ironically its not the hardwares fault! Its the stupid update that clearly was not tested by anyone before being released. I dont care about facebook messenger, nor do I want it on my headset. I just want the thing to work the way it should.

Maybe facebook should worry less about promoting itself (Im pretty sure its popular enough) and focus on making a great device better. Its a PITA to type text in VR, nobody is going to use messenger on there actively. Id rather just use the Oculus friends system because after all why would you even have the need to talk to someone who doesnt also have an oculus headset? (Meaning they also have the oculus messenger thingy) I would just use my computer for that.

I also recently saw that the V26 software has been released although I dont have it yet. Does anyone have it? Has it fixed these issues with V25? This thing was probly the most amazing thing Ive bought in the past year until all these glitches started happening.

Id appreciate a response from someone on Oculus's end. Im also a developer and would like to eventually release some software a friend and I have been working on on the store or app lab. But we need a stable environment to do so.

29 REPLIES 29

Nope you stay on the installed version

sarley
Honored Guest

Got exactly the same issue!
I´m "glad" to see I´m not the only one. I totally love V23 Quest 2! Maybe 25 was too much too soon?

Well mine was good for a day or so but yea back to flashing tracking lost and sometimes just getting random system freezes... 

dam.hegde
Explorer

Thanks for sharing Paulocaust - I did get a reply off support with my update woes but I‘d agree that an option to roll back and opt out would be a life saver! The Update that bricks 

terramex
Protege

Just to add some weight: also having terrible tracking issues; tracking lost on startup, tracking temporarily lost during games (then recovering), and full on requests to re-create Guardian, mid-game -- we're talking once every 10 minutes here. It seems like if you actually move around, or even take your headset off for a second, Quest 2 gets horribly confused -- and rather than recover, it gives up. 

My hardware is only a month old; so this is most likely also related to the v25 update -- no issues in v23. Same room, same environment. Full batteries.

Interestingly, I think Quest 2 rolls out updates, but only "activates" part of the updates on a device, overtime. v25 was fine for me for a few days; but around the same time that the multi-account feature was starting to show, the tracking issues appeared.

inovator2
Expert Protege

I guess it's with some but not all. Mine has been fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

v23 working fine,   v25/26,  headset seems laggy,  guardian got crazy leaving a black screen and not working properly.

after a hard reset,  lag didnt go away,  and hand tracking now is not as acurrate as with V23.

image got stuck in home menu so sides were not rendered  only black and have to turn off ....

any way to rollback to v23?

RobRiccio
Honored Guest

I too have had nothing but performance issues since the v25 update, which is really sad considering beforehand all was running so smoothly. I hope they fix it as I like this product for the fact it allows me to use it with or without plugging into my PC (I use it heavily for FitXR).

Thats a good point, now that I think of it, it didnt get really bad for me until around the same time, thats when all the tracking stuff started happening.

DrGNOLA
Protege

--"Maybe Facebook should worry less about promoting itself (I'm pretty sure its popular enough) and focus on making a great device better."

What this poster above said...: (

V.25 update was a disaster; V.26 is better, I guess, but I will confess the largest increase in performance I've seen is from good, old-fashioned "crank down the settings." Which blows, I know, but I do think "new" VR gamers need to keep in mind that simply tweaking the settings  with something like Oculus Tool Tray or Oculus Debug Tool can do wonders in a lot of cases. This tracking issue, on the other hand, is something else entirely, I know, and as the opening quote from the OP points out, it's hard for me to believe it's not misguided corporate priorities here that are at the heart of the s@ show that is the Link software... Bad look for FB, and they should be embarrassed really.