cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying a quest 2 for PCVR, but I have a GTX 980, will my system be able to handle it?

Arx1kage
Honored Guest
I want to get into VR, and oculus seems like the best option. I was thinking Rift S, but when I heard it was getting discontinued and seeing that it's not in stock on Amazon right now, I started to look at the Quest 2. All the videos I've watched say that using the link cable will make it harder to run than a normal PCVR Headset. I've done the steam VR performance test and it said my system (I7- 5930K, GTX 980, and 32GB of ram) was more than enough, but it doesn't measure USB performance. Is there anyone with similar specs that can tell me their experiences? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Richooal
Consultant

You've probably already read the support article about "link" requirements, but just in case you haven't, here it is..............

https://support.oculus.com/444652019523821

The GTX 970 is listed as a supported GPU, your 980 should be fine.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

I've looked at those a good amount of times, I have a friend with a 1660TI and he gets around 40FPS on one of the main games I play (Assetto Corsa). I was more looking for around how many FPS I could expect from it.

Richooal
Consultant

Ok, sorry.

Maybe ask the question that you want answered then.

"What FPS can I expect in Assetto Corsa on a Quest 2 using link on a PC with (insert specs here).

I don't use sims but my understanding is that they are quite demanding and you do have an entry level GPU for VR.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

crxefx
Expert Protege

The 980/1060/1660 are all very similar in performance. May be entry level as Rich said but, you shouldn't notice any difference from your friends gpu. Assuming your processor and such are the same.