cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This may come off as a paranoid question

CoLvR16
Explorer
This may come off as a paranoid question. So I was holding my headset with the lenses pointing towards me then my friend came into my room after washing his hands and then he proceeded to dry his hands by shaking the water off. He was in front of me and I felt a drop of water hit my arm when I was holding the quest. I used my phone flashlight and shined it on my quest to make sure that no water got into the headset. I didn’t see any water on the quest but I’m worried some got in it. I’m worried some got in the speakers because whenever I’m playing games and a loud noise occurs I can hear a slight crackle in one of the speakers. An example of a loud noise that would make the speaker crackle is when I’m close to an rpg missile explosion while playing onward. Am I worrying too much?
10 REPLIES 10

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
These headsets are built to handle a fair degree of sweat. I've drenched my headsets in sweat during Beat Saber and Boxing. So I doubt that a little wet hand shakey shakey wouldn't damage them. Unless this hands were like a freakin deluge?

keltb7lv5s8m.gif

CoLvR16
Explorer
Alright thanks I was just worried that since the lenses were facing me when I was holding it some water could’ve gotten in from the front of the headset. Like the charging port or the speakers for example. I know I probably sound ridiculous right now ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The sound crackling thing could be an issue. It might be a software problem.

I recall this being reported with Rift-S. Can't remember if it was reported with Quest 1 as well:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83862/crackling-popping-staticky-audio

If the audio problem continues, be sure to contact Oculus Support. And Submit a Ticket.
https://support.oculus.com/quest/

Good luck!

CoLvR16
Explorer
I’ve barely noticed it it only happens when I’m on a high volume and a loud noise occurs. You don’t think this could be from the water right? Should I even worry about the whole water thing?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If the crackling is the result of water damage, then I would imagine that the crackling would happen at any volume. Not just on the highest setting.

Try plugging in some headphones in to the Audio Jack of the headset. Does it still make that sound?

CoLvR16
Explorer
I currently don’t have any headphones suitable for my headset. Do you think any of the water could’ve gotten in the charging port or any openings in the front of the headset? It was only a couple drops of water that flung off of his hand

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

CoLvR16 said:

I currently don’t have any headphones suitable for my headset. Do you think any of the water could’ve gotten in the charging port or any openings in the front of the headset? It was only a couple drops of water that flung off of his hand

It's possible. But there's no real point in guessing. Just experiment. See what happens when you charge it. Get some headphones and listen to the sound. No point theorizing or playing guesswork.

CoLvR16
Explorer
It’s been charging fine. However since I got the quest the charger has been making a ringing noise after it’s been plugged in for a while. Even if I shined a flashlight on the quest and didn’t see any water on it should I still worry? This thing is brand new and I want to make sure I shouldn’t worry about it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

CoLvR16 said:

It’s been charging fine. However since I got the quest the charger has been making a ringing noise after it’s been plugged in for a while. Even if I shined a flashlight on the quest and didn’t see any water on it should I still worry? This thing is brand new and I want to make sure I shouldn’t worry about it.

It's making a ringing noise? That probably isn't normal. I would return it and get a new one.