cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 recognized as USB 2.0

ChromeSamurai
Explorer

I've seen a lot of people struggle with this. I just got the Oculus Quest 2, and i was hoping i could play pc vr games for the first time. But when I started the setup process, it told me that a USB 3.0 is recommended even though its plugged into my blue USB ports that say USB 3.0 right above it. I have been looking for answers for a whole week so far and nothing has worked. I've tried the following

• updating usb drivers
  • uninstalling/reinstalling usb drivers
  • turning on and off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  • edit power plan: USB settings/USB selective suspend setting/Setting: Disabled
  • turned off "fast start up" in power settings
  • uninstalling/reinstalling windows update
  • factory resetting my pc
  • updated bios

and a few other things. I don't understand where the problem is. I've considered adding extra usb 3.0 ports but my graphics card is blocking the PCI-e ports and im not 100% sure that'll fix the issue anyway since i have a total of 6 USB 3.0 ports and none of them worked. I even tried using an external usb 3.0 hub and those didn't work. I've seen the same suggestions over and over (updating the driver, edit the power plan, etc) and haven't found any new ones for a while. I'm getting close to giving up on this problem and just using AIR Link with the mild latency. If you have any suggestions that i haven't tried please let me know.

8 REPLIES 8

MasterMozart
Honored Guest

Not an expert but i ran into the same issue and i have an amazing gaming pc made for vr. I had to reinstall the amd drivers to get it to work properly.

Thank you i also tried this and it didn't work me unfortunately 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! You've completed a significant amount of troubleshooting, and we'd like to look further into our options to assist you. Can you please click here to submit a ticket? Be sure to include the list of troubleshooting steps completed so that we don't ask you to repeat anything you've already done. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

ChromeSamurai
Explorer

Just an update: it looks like my problem might be related to the cable. I have been using a USB A to USB C 

I created a ticket and they said if its a usb c cable try a different orientation.

So i found a USB A to USB C adapter laying around, and used it with a USB C to USB C cable instead. And it finally worked. However only for 2 seconds before disconnecting. So now im guessing i should get a new cable. I want to get whatever is official, but i hear bad things about the oculus link cable. Im open to suggestions.

ChromeSamurai
Explorer

So i got a new ankler cable and tried it again but its still not working. I even tried reorienting the USB C end of the chord when i plugged it in and that still didn't work.

this is the link to the cable i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082NW8CF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to get my new OQ2 to connect to my PC with a generic A-C cable*. It took longer than I expected for it to register with the computer and the Oculus DT program whined that it wasn't USB 3, but it was good enough to get setup done. I haven't noticed lag via Air Link, but maybe I'm closer to my WAP than you are to yours.

- Are you sure the headset has been on and the Oculus DT program was running for all your attempts?

- Do you get a Windows notification when you plug it in?

- Does it show up in Device Manager?

- Did you try the cable it came with?

- Have you tried a different C-C cable?

- These two, of course, only apply if your computer has a C port.

- Have you verified the USB A port you're plugging into works normally?

- Have you tried a different port?

- How about a USB 2 port?

- Are you connecting to a front or rear port? Rear ports are, in my experience, more reliable than front ports.

- Did you try disconnecting any non-critical devices to verify there isn't something interfering?

- Do you have a different PC, know of someone else's you can test with?

I just typed "port" so many times that it doesn't sound like a word anymore. Good luck and I hope you get it working. 🙂

*The cable the OQ2 came with is too short to plug into my computer while I'm wearing it. Also, I'd send you an Amazon link to that cable, but it is no longer listed on Amazon and the cable you linked is about the same.

I decided to just purchase the official link cable that everybody says not to buy. Just to make sure that this is a cable problem, and it was. I guess maybe the Ankler cable I chose was the wrong one again. But now i no longer have an issue with the Oculus software not recognizing my USB 3.0 cable. However I still notice very small delay when playing pc vr games, which was not what i was expecting. but it could just be because of my pc setup. I took the steam vr test and my pc just barely passes as vr ready. Thats a problem for another time. For now the main problem has been solved.

daniel.boonmee
Honored Guest

I have the same issue too I'm using USB A-USB C link cable and I decided to buy the USB C-USB C link cable  i'll update later if it's working