cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get Link to work with genuine cable on laptop

gdc27
Protege
Hi guys, i have been trying to get Link to work on my Quest 2 via laptop and so far i had no luck at all.
I am using the genuine cable and i am trying connecting to my only USB-C port (that is with the onboard graphics) and also trying with a USB-A adapter on a normal USB3 port. Headset is recognized in the Oculus app but as soon as i try and use Link from the headset i get a Windows error ("Oculus isn't working correctly").
Honestly upset that it's the first tech i preorder and i am having so many issues with connecting it. For the record, Virtual desktop works albeit with some minor dropped frames.
Any ideas as to what to look for? Anyone else made this work on a laptop?
44 REPLIES 44

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Impossible to say without you giving us your laptop specs.  At least CPU, GPU, RAM, operating system.  In general, laptops do not do very well with VR.  Their mobile GPU's are much weaker than Desktop equivalents.  Please review Oculus Quest requirements;

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

gdc27
Protege
Hi, i got a RTX2060 with desktop clocks and Ryzen 7 4800H. HL Alyx is fine over VD but i can't get any signal at all once i connect Link. 
Is there a specific requirement for USB? I got a electrical buzz where the cable connects to the Quest 2 a couple  of times.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Should work ok with either usb hookup.  Maybe check device manager and see if there are any usb updates and make sure you check each properties and disable any power savings.  Also check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure the top line says that you prefer your high power nvidia gpu.  You need to do this to stop it trying to use your laptop's integrated gpu for VR.  Sorry, all I can think of.  If you still have problems connecting Link ask Oculus Support to try to help.  Good luck mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

gdc27
Protege
Already contacted support with logs. Still nothing.
Headset is connected and everything, the issue comes when i launch Link. 
I really should not fiddle with this that much.
Average user would have sent the cable back already.
The fact that the Oculus app is very generically telling me that there is a problem doesn't help much either.
I can see that there is a problem, knowing what it is would be a bit more beneficial?

Niexist
Honored Guest
Hi, I bet I have the same laptop as you the Asus TUF A15.  I cannot get any USB-C connection, and if I use a USB-C to USB-A it will crash the exact same way as yours does.  This is clearly a problem with the Oculus rather than anything in Device Manager, or driver related, because I've seen at least 5 other people with the same problem.  Anyway let me know if you find anything out please.

Niexist
Honored Guest
Also I have tried many other things plugged into the USB-C and they all work, just Oculus which gives me nothing no windows chime nothing whatsoever.  The USB-C to USB-A gives different results which is what makes this all super weird and annoying.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry but unfortunately some fiddling is still required with PCVR, esp. with laptops.  Been there done that btw.  I'm sooo happy to now have a decent Desktop gaming pc (see my signature below).

gdc27
Protege
Fiddling is fine until i have no clue what is even wrong with it. It's a shame that laptop users are left to do sideflips to get it to work. Link cable is not even cheap so it'll be a nice skipping rope if i can't get it to work. Link has been around a while so i thought that by now some issues would have been ironed out? People have laptops, it's not 1990 anymore.
Let's see if support can work out what is wrong with it.
I might end up trying another laptop i have, just in case.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@gdc27  You need to remember that Quest is still mainly sold as a Mobile VR platform and that Link is still currently in Beta.  Maybe things will improve in the near future. 

Also, I think that before going into PCVR with a Laptop you are best to ensure that your particular Laptop is proven to play well with whatever PCVR system you intend to use.  Because Desktop gaming PC's generally allow you to update components they are a much better way to go (and far less expensive) for good VR imho.

Anyway, I do feel for you mate and I hope you eventually manage to get things working ok.  Good luck and cheers.