Anonymous
Not applicable
I live near a massive beach, that is it takes 10-15 mins to get to the
sea once on the sand , so i have a huge, safe flat space to work with. I
am after  a game / experience  to utilize this space !  That is.i want
to actually  walk/run in the vr environment, no other method of
locomotion other than your own legs.  WIth my limited knowledge, is
"onward" able to do this ?  Other suggestions greatly appreciated 🙂 
Will be on the Quest 2 when it arrives !
8 REPLIES 8

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Quest can go quite far, I've had mine work for around 170m (it didn't stop, I just bored of walking).
The tracking has significant drift when moving away from the starting location. Mine drifted almost 6m.

The biggest issue here is a large flat beach is probably the absolute worst situation for the tracking.
The sky has no detail to track. Clouds are too far away to give parallax, so no tracking from them (and they move on their own).
The ground detail is too fine, it won't be able to make out common features between the 4 cameras, which is needed.
Most beaches slope towards the sea. The inertial tracking will probably pick that up, so in the game you would be sinking into the floor whenever you walk towards the sea.

It would certainly be interesting to try though! 🙂

Important safety tip: if you are outside with a Quest (or Quest 2), be aware that letting direct sunlight hit the lenses for even a second will potentially damage the headset. They are like magnifying glasses, they will focus the sun on the screen and burn a hole in it. That's not hypothetical, people have posted photos of the damage. So be very careful putting on and taking off the headset.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

The Quest can go quite far, I've had mine work for around 170m (it didn't stop, I just bored of walking).
The tracking has significant drift when moving away from the starting location. Mine drifted almost 6m.

The biggest issue here is a large flat beach is probably the absolute worst situation for the tracking.
The sky has no detail to track. Clouds are too far away to give parallax, so no tracking from them (and they move on their own).
The ground detail is too fine, it won't be able to make out common features between the 4 cameras, which is needed.
Most beaches slope towards the sea. The inertial tracking will probably pick that up, so in the game you would be sinking into the floor whenever you walk towards the sea.

Important safety tip: if you are outside with a Quest (or Quest 2), be aware that letting direct sunlight hit the lenses for even a second will potentially damage the headset. They are like magnifying glasses, they will focus the sun on the screen and burn a hole in it. That's not hypothetical, people have posted photos of the damage. So be very careful putting on and taking off the headset.

thanks for the tips !  So i need to try this on a grey, overcast day.   I wonder if a visor or something similar could be attached....  Very flat beach here and it's completely covered in countless razorclam shells ..lots of ground definition here i'm glad to say !   Southport Beach, UK..it's quite unique

kojack
MVP
MVP
Cool, that could work, I'd like to hear how it goes.

Overcast probably helps the cameras not be blinded too, they aren't designed for outdoor use.
People have had the sun burn holes in their screens even while indoors, they leave the headset on a table and have a nearby window with direct sunlight coming in.

66m beat saber map

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Double_Shot
Adventurer

Zede said:

I have no suggestions, but dang, I like how you think!  What a cool concept.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zede said:

Probably not.  I think you'll run into problems with direct sunlight.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zede said:

kojack said:

thanks for the tips !  So i need to try this on a grey, overcast day.   I wonder if a visor or something similar could be attached....  Very flat beach here and it's completely covered in countless razorclam shells ..lots of ground definition here i'm glad to say !   Southport Beach, UK..it's quite unique

If inside out tracking looks for familar objects to use as reference points in a pointcloud to know where you are, when you walk out of that playspace it is going to have issues tracking the further you get from those reference points, they are stationary while your goal is to constantly move down the beach.  The further you get from your reference point the worse the tracking should get, see the above referenced drifting of 6m.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

Zede said:

kojack said:

If inside out tracking looks for familar objects to use as reference points in a pointcloud to know where you are, when you walk out of that playspace it is going to have issues tracking the further you get from those reference points, they are stationary while your goal is to constantly move down the beach.  The further you get from your reference point the worse the tracking should get, see the above referenced drifting of 6m.

hmm thanks for the advice.  I'm now thinking of planting 4 'goal posts' ..some bamboo canes with large cardboard pictograms on for reference.  Experimentation shall commence in 2 weeks or so 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

Zede said:

kojack said:

hmm thanks for the advice.  I'm now thinking of planting 4 'goal posts' ..some bamboo canes with large cardboard pictograms on for reference.  Experimentation shall commence in...about 2 weeks !