cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Quest 2 on a ship?

Sens8WasTaken
Level 2
I work on a ship, and i brought my Quest 2 with thinking I'd be able to use it on board. Sadly IT seems I was mistaken as the tracking is ALL over the place when the ship moves with the waves. Is it possible that something is wrong, or is it maybe some gyros in the headset that doesnt allow for play on a moving ship?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nunyabinez
Level 8
Oculus devices all operate on the assumption that the ground is solid. They make an initial check where the floor is and then move the images in the headset based on how the headset moves relative to that initial setting. If the height of the floor changes, it will be off.

I don't think you are going to be able to use it on a ship. It would have to continuously check the ground level and headset relative to the ground to to what you are asking and that is a ton of data and processing, so it's unlikely that you can make it work in that environment. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

View solution in original post

Morgrum
Level 11
If you have access try playing in an area near the ballast.
That is quite litterly the only thing that pops in my head since being close may offset the rocking motion abit.
WAAAGH!

2 REPLIES 2

Nunyabinez
Level 8
Oculus devices all operate on the assumption that the ground is solid. They make an initial check where the floor is and then move the images in the headset based on how the headset moves relative to that initial setting. If the height of the floor changes, it will be off.

I don't think you are going to be able to use it on a ship. It would have to continuously check the ground level and headset relative to the ground to to what you are asking and that is a ton of data and processing, so it's unlikely that you can make it work in that environment. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Morgrum
Level 11
If you have access try playing in an area near the ballast.
That is quite litterly the only thing that pops in my head since being close may offset the rocking motion abit.
WAAAGH!