cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Quest 2 on a ship?

Sens8WasTaken
Sightseer
I work on a ship, and i brought my Quest 2 with thinking I'd be able to use it on board. Sadly IT seems I was mistaken as the tracking is ALL over the place when the ship moves with the waves. Is it possible that something is wrong, or is it maybe some gyros in the headset that doesnt allow for play on a moving ship?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Oculus devices all operate on the assumption that the ground is solid. They make an initial check where the floor is and then move the images in the headset based on how the headset moves relative to that initial setting. If the height of the floor changes, it will be off.

I don't think you are going to be able to use it on a ship. It would have to continuously check the ground level and headset relative to the ground to to what you are asking and that is a ton of data and processing, so it's unlikely that you can make it work in that environment. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

View solution in original post

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
If you have access try playing in an area near the ballast.
That is quite litterly the only thing that pops in my head since being close may offset the rocking motion abit.
WAAAGH!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Oculus devices all operate on the assumption that the ground is solid. They make an initial check where the floor is and then move the images in the headset based on how the headset moves relative to that initial setting. If the height of the floor changes, it will be off.

I don't think you are going to be able to use it on a ship. It would have to continuously check the ground level and headset relative to the ground to to what you are asking and that is a ton of data and processing, so it's unlikely that you can make it work in that environment. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
If you have access try playing in an area near the ballast.
That is quite litterly the only thing that pops in my head since being close may offset the rocking motion abit.
WAAAGH!

lacmei
Honored Guest

I also work on a ship and experienced the same as you. You can turn off head tracking but it only allows you to watch a movie. Even then if you take of the headset, it's a bugger to get back to the movie as even though head tracking is of, it keeps asking you to set up guardian and your constantly chasing the floating option with your controllers.

I don't understand why if you turn of guardian and head tracking you still keep getting the floating icons asking you if you want to set it up. 

Dendroapsis
Honored Guest

I think I have a solution... Turn off the guardian system (make sure you're well aware of your surroundings of course, perhaps don't play games which require a lot of room-scale motion).

I've not tested it in rough waters yet, but I can turn off the lights at night and the headset wont display that error message which pops up (which seems to be the real problem when I was using it in wavy seas). Sadly though turning off the guardian boundary requires a developer account, which from the end of this month you wont be able to make without a registered organization. Also Meta says that playing with guardian off should only be used for development purposes, but if they code their headset to display an error message making it impossible for people to use their headsets on ships what else can we do?

@Dendroapsis wrote:

I think I have a solution... Turn off the guardian system (make sure you're well aware of your surroundings of course, perhaps don't play games which require a lot of room-scale motion).

I've not tested it in rough waters yet, but I can turn off the lights at night and the headset wont display that error message which pops up (which seems to be the real problem when I was using it in wavy seas). Sadly though turning off the guardian boundary requires a developer account, which from the end of this month you wont be able to make without a registered organization. Also Meta says that playing with guardian off should only be used for development purposes, but if they code their headset to display an error message making it impossible for people to use their headsets on ships what else can we do?

That's the Real Solution imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I have already used it with the Guardian turned off. That was a game in itself as the option to turn it off was floating all over the place and took me about 5 minutes before I managed to hit the turn off button.

Anyway, it only worked for watching videos/movies. Unfortunately for games it still needs to use the gyro which means with the movement of the ship makes games unplayable. 

@lacmei wrote:

I have already used it with the Guardian turned off. That was a game in itself as the option to turn it off was floating all over the place and took me about 5 minutes before I managed to hit the turn off button.

Anyway, it only worked for watching videos/movies. Unfortunately for games it still needs to use the gyro which means with the movement of the ship makes games unplayable. 

If you setup a developer account and then switched off guardian you should not also need to disable head tracking imho.  If you are using your quest with PCVR you can also disable guardian with the Rift home dashboard menu settings/guardian.  I'm not sure why this doesn't work for you mate?

The only problem I've found with guardian off is that some games do not show the correct height sometimes.  This can be sort of be corrected my repositioning myself up/down and then pressing/holding down the oculus button.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thank you for your advice. Next time I'm  away I'll take it with me and try again.

Last time I tried it, it made me sick because with the ship moving about your head, hands and body compensated for it. Which meant it was very difficult to play the games. 

it's true. but as a solution to the issue, it is possible that another device was a fulcrum for the helmet. For example, a phone that is placed on the table. and then there will be no problems when rolling on the ship.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?