cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Family Usage Suggestion / Question

Teigue
Explorer
Problem / Feature Request:
I gifted my dad a oculus quest, I have one as well, dad is 60+ years old, we live in different cities, so I explained a lot & he started play one of the games I bought him (Racket Fury Table Tennis) as he likes it irl, sometimes we play together via network & all is fine here, however dad doesn't know english at all & he just remembered some algorithms how to enable that or another option, I had many headsets & quest is the best option for such a case (except bad weight distribution & comfort problems). But dad constantly forgets sometime that or another thing & when I try to explain that I don't see his screen & we often having hard experience to understand each other. Also Im able to open the same tennis game & follow all menus that I try to explain but it would be much easier to be able stream your Quest screen like you do to local TV/apps to your friend or to the phone application on the remote network (not only on the same wifi). It can be disabled by default (permission) & people can turn it on if needed. Apart of tennis I bought him other interesting games, but without screen sharing it takes tons of time & we never find it to try another game (like racket nx, beatsaber etc, even if they are really easy to start, it's hard to explain it blindly & comment gameplay). Good that at least tennis works fine for him & he enjoys it & we can have additional social experience this way.

Also it will be very helpful if we will have friends last time online (can be disabled by default in profile as well). I guess it's really easy implementation not sure why it's not implemented.

Question:
1. Does anybody know whether or not Oculus plans to develop things like this? 
2. Are there any third party apps (sideloading whatever) that allows you to stream oculus internal stream (with all system menus not only a single game) to remote PC/Quest/Android device whatever but using on streamer's host side only Quest & wifi (internet access) probably mobile phone with installed quest as maximum.

I tried to google & also used before apps like big screen, VRdesktop etc, but I don't find this kind of feature there, if you know something related that might be helpful please share.
3 REPLIES 3

ezop73
Rising Star
Q1 . I doubt it at the moment or if ever they will, they have other thing to implement and improve you best bet is to head on over to oculus uservoice and add it there and see if it can be voted up so oculus will take notice of it

Q2 . there is a sidequest app called coplay hub available on sidequest but i think you have to be on the same network.

Head on over to https://sidequestvr.com/ and select games & app and use the search box on the left hand side

A temporary solution might be to get your dad to stream his quest live to his facebook page so you can view it, it's not perfect (there might be some lag/delay) but it might help.

tateconcepts
Protege
@Teigue

I too would like some family features in here. I think Oculus is doubling down on, "If it's family thing, just buy everyone one" or "everyone needs a Facebook account". May I suggest a work around for you?

I don't know what options Android has for it's remote casting and if it does exist, it too is probably wireless. I use an iOS device (Apple) and an Apple TV to Screen Mirror (AirPlay) the content. I have it set to automatically do this. Now I use my Apple TV wired, because its always the best for performance. If you could do this, you could go geek out and maybe get a VPN or something between you but I just don't see good performance there. I'd probably install a webcam or something to watch the TV and determine when the Apple device is casting. You'd also have to address the remote access to the apple device but that may be easy enough for him to start the casting. 

The only other option, one I would likely support if I was developing this - would be a RAT (it's common malware name) to permit remote access to the Quest directly via TLS. There would be awful latency still but if I could just launch apps remotely and what not, that might be good enough. I'm sorry to break this to you but until 5G comes and is commonplace, you likely will not be able to essentially "be in a remote office" to "collaborate with a remote worker" without some sort of physics miracle, perhaps quantum. It's possible you could get an MPLS direct to the house but that costs enterprises fortunes from the telco providers, hence the VPN became the popular choice. I'd suspect that Oculus is aware of the benefits of this but until the healthcare spending involves VR, you won't see much on this front. You might be able to purchase a second device and somehow "tether" them to be paired but I'd have to examine the Oculus source code and see if that's even possible with their platform...

Feel free to ask me other questions, maybe we could figure something out in the meantime or we could ask the devs for an enhancement. I think their sprints are full with the Oculus Link Endless Beta but who knows?

Teigue
Explorer
@tateconcepts

I doubt that 5G is needed to stream your Quests screen to remote app (mobile/desktop), if it's done through wifi, why it will take more resources & bandwidth to do it over internet, latency is not the problem as what usually users need in such situation is to see context & advice how to mitigate problem or access features.

Although thanks for webcam solution it sounds simple & interesting, I guess I will give it a try.

@ezop73 
Thanks for tips, facebook also sounds good he doesn't use it at all I just registered him account to use Quest, so it's empty account & I guess it's a good use to stream it there. I will check the app you suggested though.