With my oculus quest connected via cable to my pc i get solid high
framerates with zero stuttering, but every 30 seconds i get like 3
seconds of noticable frame drops and its driving me crazy, does anyone
have an idea why that might be? i have a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600X

Thank you and have a nice day!
22 REPLIES 22

Rebarb
Explorer
welcome to the shitty world of oculus Link maybe try using Virtual desktop, it solved all the issues that i had with oculus link

DrSmits
Honored Guest
 Thank you for your suggestion, Rebarb, but since iam fairly new to VR (my quest arrived 2 days ago) iam not sure what you mean by "try virtual desktop" should i start all my games with it ?

enigma01
Trustee

DrSmits said:

Thank you for your suggestion, Rebarb, but since iam fairly new to VR (my quest arrived 2 days ago) iam not sure what you mean by "try virtual desktop" should i start all my games with it ?

Virtual Desktop lets you play some Rift library and Steam VR games on the Quest over WiFi, streamed from your gaming PC (apparently some don’t work with Virtual Desktop, but I’ve not found any that don't yet). You need to download a streamer app and install it on your PC and purchase Virtual Desktop from the Oculus library store (but then sideload it, to do this you need to also enable developer mode) More details on Virtual Desktop can be found here https://www.vrdesktop.net/. I use Sidequest to sideload, details can be found here and download https://sidequestvr.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable

DrSmits said:

With my oculus quest connected via cable to my pc i get solid high
framerates with zero stuttering, but every 30 seconds i get like 3
seconds of noticable frame drops and its driving me crazy, does anyone
have an idea why that might be? i have a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600X

Thank you and have a nice day!

What cable are you running?
What results do you get when you test it?

DrSmits
Honored Guest
Tanks alot enigma1!, but does it require a over the top Internet connection, because i just
have fairly average Internet speed, but my pc is running with WiFi and i
heard that that can cause major delay/lag.

DrSmits
Honored Guest

dburne said:
What cable are you running?
What results do you get when you test it?

Iam running a CABLETEX USB C to USB A 3.1  3m Cable and my SteamVR performance Test says:
6igd4ro1y4i6.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was really referring to the test you can now run in the Oculus software, will give you a throughput number.
Have you tried plugging it in to different USB 3 ports?
Or maybe the C-Port on your 2060 card (if it has one).

enigma01
Trustee

DrSmits said:

Tanks alot enigma1!, but does it require a over the top Internet connection, because i just
have fairly average Internet speed, but my pc is running with WiFi and i
heard that that can cause major delay/lag.

Internet speed doesn’t matter as its streaming over WiFi. You do need a strong 5Ghz WiFi connection though. I hard wire my gaming laptop to my router via Ethernet cable to reduce any latency and play the Quest in the same room as my router. It actually works pretty great for the games I’ve tried so far. 

DrSmits
Honored Guest

enigma01 said:

Internet speed doesn’t matter as its streaming over WiFi. You do need a strong 5Ghz WiFi connection though. I hard wire my gaming laptop to my router via Ethernet cable to reduce any latency and play the Quest in the same room as my router. It actually works pretty great for the games I’ve tried so far. 

Oh ok, but i dont have the possibility to plug my PC to my router, since the placement of it is not really making it possible without drilling holes in 2 walls and buying a 30m Ethernet cable aaand my apartment is hella old and only has 1 Ethernet plug in the entire apartment 😞