cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR & The Public Consciousness - Oculus Quest gets fat-mouthed Luddites all worked up.

Buddha7
Explorer
Which is a clear sign that VR is going mainstream.

Virtual Reality has been 'the future' for just long enough to render the very prediction itself a bit dodgy and a pesky few billion people just won't come onboard, clinging defiantly to outdated and pointless ideas like ACTUAL reality. But recently I've overheard conversations and seen videos and read articles and wished I'd stayed home whilst out with friends who have never used VR as they whine and whinge on the subject with the enthused confidence that is unique to those opining on matters they know nothing about except what they heard off some bloke who they describe as 'the type of dude that knows his stuff'. The release of the Rift and Vive didn't have this effect and no one cared to chat s#*t about a future that was so expensive and was marketed as if the spectrum had put itself on sale to the autistic. But now the masses are humming a collective 'hmmm'? which results in two things: fat-mouthed, skinny-brained individuals going full-idiot; and an all-out panic in Lapland as the early lists from savvy kids indicate a Christmas filled with rampant consumer demand for one thing alone, and it ain't good will to all men - hopefully we'll have an app for that by then.
You know what? I think, finally, VR is the future.
I'm so excited for the Quest that I nearly bought a Rift and if it's not released soon I will be posting at length on the subject of when spring ends, both technically as well as theoretically in the collective psyche of man - my way of staring Mark Zuckerberg down whilst tapping my watch and looking super-miffed.
There are big questions hanging over the Quest such as will the arrival of 5G make it seem a relic of a bygone age? Will Oculus repeat the practice of 2018 when they sold me a Go and promptly announced that I would either buy an expensive upgrade within months or be left in the virtual stone-age with only regret and an antique for company? (If anyone mentions an Oculus Santa Barbara before 2020 I'll feel a bit less comitted to capitalism). Will HTC get serious about VR and start pricing devices with a view to selling them - swallowing dev. costs now to expand the economic platform from which it can profit in future - and release a heaset so advanced it's not a headset at all but a new gateway to nirvana for a price I'd have paid if only I'd known?
But the biggest question for me is this:
When will I get my Oculus Quest and do you want me to start stamping my feet? 'Cos I will. Seriously.
0 REPLIES 0