cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching Youtube VR through Oculus Link

Rapkour
Level 3

Hello everyone!

I recently got myself an Oculus Quest 2 device and was looking forward to watch youtube vr videos "being inside" the video itself. I can watch them fine with Youtube VR app built-in, but my wifi is not the best and I got some loading issues. Since I expected as much, I also bought the Oculus Link.

I have been looking for a way to watch Youtube VR videos through my PC using Oculus Link while disabling wifi on Quest 2. So far I've only been able to watch the videos as when I watch them on my pc through some kind of screens or desktops (virtual desktop, oculus pc app), but thats is not "being inside" the videos like I was with the built-in app. I thought I could find the way Oculus Rift users do it but cannot find anything. 

Any idea on how could I do it?

Thank you!

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello!

Sorry for the late answer, it has been an exhausing week and I haven't been able to test it until now.

I've tried to connect to PC using the USB-C to USB3.0 adapter I ordered, but I'm still having the same issue. It won't connect to the built-in apps on Quest while I have WiFi off and plugged into PC via Oculus Link. The adapter didn't solve anything.

However, the router seems to be working wonders. After installing it I have 100% signal everywhere and on a 5Ghz WiFi with around 1Gb/s so all the issues I was having with delays and loading times on VR YouTube videos are gone so far.

Although the issue related on this post is still there and unsolved, I don't need a solution anymore since I can just use the WiFi. Therefore I will deem this topic as closed for the time being.

Thank you.

Regards.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello, I understand you are trying to watch YouTube videos through your PC using your Oculus Link while disabling WiFi. We are happy to help you with that.

First, let me confirm a few things with you.

• Does your headset not allow you to use the Quest version of YouTube VR once the wifi is off? Currently, there isn't a Rift version of the YouTube app. Thus, we may need to use the Quest version.
  • When using the virtual desktop, are you confirming that the videos are VR compatible such as 180, 360 videos?
  • We know that some Rift users have used workarounds such as the YouTube app on SteamVR, but that app was recently taken down.

Looking forward to your response. 🙂

Rapkour
Level 3

Hello, thanks for the quick response.

• Certainly, when I try to use the Quest version of YouTube VR it says I need an internet connection. It will open, but it doesn't let me search any video. (When wifi is off).
  • Yes, when using virtual desktop I go to my desktop screen and play VR 180/360 YouTube website videos and they play on the desktop screen even when I set full screen mode. Plus because of wifi, virtual desktop connection is also unstable.
  • I've seen about this YouTube app for Steam, but unfortunately it's nowhere to be found anymore =/.
  • I've also tried Oculus Browse and, while it works when I'm on wifi (and plays VR videos correctly the same way as the Quest YouTube App does), when I disable wifi and connect to PC through Oculus Link the browser won't let me go to any website due to not having internet.

Thank you again,

Regards.

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello, thanks for getting back to us. I would like to gather a little more information from you. Firstly, is the reason you are wanting use the link because your computer is on a wired ethernet connection?

Based on the information provided, it seems like using link would not be the best way to speed up your connection. If you get a USB-C adapter, Quest 2 will support a wired connection. This seems like it would be a very effective solution to your problem. 

Let us know your thoughts. 🙂

Rapkour
Level 3

Yes, since my pc is using a wired ethernet connection I believe everything should run smoother through it. I'm currently plugging Oculus Link (Not AirLink!) into an USB-C port directly into my motherboard since it has one.

Shouldn't that be enough? Or do I need to use an USB-C to USB-3.0 adapter anyway?

Thanks

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hi, thanks for getting back to us so quickly. Based on your response, I advise purchasing a USB-C - USB-3.0 adapter. Reason being, Quest 2 exclusive apps such as YouTube VR cannot use the PC wired connection via link and must be plugged into the headset specifically. 

We are always here to help. 🙂

Rapkour
Level 3

Hello! Thanks for the quick answers.

I was about to order a WiFi Router (Tenda AC19 - AC2100 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router) to put it in the room as my internet provider's router isn't capable of 5Ghz WiFi (Even though when wired it goes up to 1Gb/s). Since you advice getting the adapter, I will also order it along  the router. Better to have both options/upgrades just in case!

I will get back to you once I got them to let you know if the adapter worked.

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

Hello!

Sorry for the late answer, it has been an exhausing week and I haven't been able to test it until now.

I've tried to connect to PC using the USB-C to USB3.0 adapter I ordered, but I'm still having the same issue. It won't connect to the built-in apps on Quest while I have WiFi off and plugged into PC via Oculus Link. The adapter didn't solve anything.

However, the router seems to be working wonders. After installing it I have 100% signal everywhere and on a 5Ghz WiFi with around 1Gb/s so all the issues I was having with delays and loading times on VR YouTube videos are gone so far.

Although the issue related on this post is still there and unsolved, I don't need a solution anymore since I can just use the WiFi. Therefore I will deem this topic as closed for the time being.

Thank you.

Regards.

View solution in original post