cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your go-to standalone games for Quest 2

Pixel.Bandits
Protege
Hey Folks,
While I've been a gamer for a good few decades, and have spend a little time in VR at various events, I'm taking my first steps into VR ownership with the Quest 2. As a predominantly console gamer, I've grabbed it mostly due to the standalone nature of the platform, being able to live stream and get into the VR world without a higher end / more expensive PC on top.

I've got a couple of titles in my library already, with Baba Yaga and Onward, and I know 100% that I'll be grabbing Beat Sabre and Robo Recall asap, and Jurassic World Aftermath if possible. I'll be looking to review titles as well as they come out, but I'm mainly after your assistance with a couple of things on the "having fun" side of things:

1. When the store says that a title works on Quest, does this mean that it'll work on the stand alone platform without plugging into a PC? (I'm assuming yes, but we all know assumption is the mother of all .........)
  2. What are your personal favourites when it comes to standalone Quest 2 titles? What do you think really shows off the Quest 2 at its best
  3. Wht's a title everybody else loves but you hate, and ofc why?

8 REPLIES 8

CecilandJoe
Protege
1. Yes, if you buy the Quest version of a game it will work on the standalone headset. Some titles are cross-buy meaning they will work on Rift but not all, so be aware if you want to use other headsets.

2. Thrill of the Fight (boxing) is awesome. Has loads of hours of game play and will get you fit if you play regularly. Vader Immortal - the dojos in episode 1 and 3 are great fun if you're into lightsabers. I also really enjoyed I Expect You to Die and Please Don't Touch Anything. They are puzzle games, similar to escape rooms. Bit short but fun to play.

3. I've been disappointed with both Beat Saber and Pistol Whip. The music is not to my taste and I haven't got a pc to do any mods. 

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Hey Folks,
While I've been a gamer for a good few decades, and have spend a little time in VR at various events, I'm taking my first steps into VR ownership with the Quest 2. As a predominantly console gamer, I've grabbed it mostly due to the standalone nature of the platform, being able to live stream and get into the VR world without a higher end / more expensive PC on top.

I've got a couple of titles in my library already, with Baba Yaga and Onward, and I know 100% that I'll be grabbing Beat Sabre and Robo Recall asap, and Jurassic World Aftermath if possible. I'll be looking to review titles as well as they come out, but I'm mainly after your assistance with a couple of things on the "having fun" side of things:

1. When the store says that a title works on Quest, does this mean that it'll work on the stand alone platform without plugging into a PC? (I'm assuming yes, but we all know assumption is the mother of all .........)
  2. What are your personal favourites when it comes to standalone Quest 2 titles? What do you think really shows off the Quest 2 at its best
  3. Wht's a title everybody else loves but you hate, and ofc why?

To your first question the answer is yes. Works on Quest means that it is playable on the Quest unteathered.

My favorite games in order are:
Beat Saber
Elven Assassin
Arizona Sunshine (I have it on PC, but there is a Quest Version)
Moss
Red Matter (This game is a good show off game as it looks really amazing on Q2)
Phantom Covert Ops
The Vader Immortal Series
Super Hot
Walking Dead Saints & Sinners  (I have it on PC, but there is a Quest Version)
Angry Birds

I'm not a big fan of Robo Recall. I might be in the minority, but I can't stand teleporting. Once I got my VR legs, I developed an iron stomach and it is terribly disorienting to me to "pop" into a new location. It might be that I'm not good at teleporting, but I would really like Robo Recall if I could free locomote until I needed to teleport.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Pixel.Bandits
Protege

To your first question the answer is yes. Works on Quest means that it is playable on the Quest unteathered.

Beat Saber
Elven Assassin
Moss
Phantom Covert Ops
Super Hot
Angry Birds

I'm not a big fan of Robo Recall. I might be in the minority, but I can't stand teleporting. Once I got my VR legs, I developed an iron stomach and it is terribly disorienting to me to "pop" into a new location. It might be that I'm not good at teleporting, but I would really like Robo Recall if I could free locomote until I needed to teleport.

Thanks for this. I was pretty sure that the works on quest thing did mean that but also I'm an idiot and I've been wrong before 😄 Good to know when I'm browsing ❤️

Thanks for the list of games as well! I do love robo recall, and have played a lot of it at various gaming events. I definitely get not liking teleportation but for me the ripping robots apart and throwing their dismembered robo-corpses at each other makes up for it

already checking out the vast majority of them but............... Angry Birds????

clouds5
Expert Protege
Just because it hasn't been mentioned: Until you Fall. Roguelike hack n slash melee combat title. It's fun to play a few rounds every once in a while, upgrade your weapons and see if you can get farther. It's also a pretty good workout.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Beat Saber
Elven Assassin
Moss
Phantom Covert Ops
Super Hot
Angry Birds

Thanks for this. I was pretty sure that the works on quest thing did mean that but also I'm an idiot and I've been wrong before 😄 Good to know when I'm browsing ❤️

Thanks for the list of games as well! I do love robo recall, and have played a lot of it at various gaming events. I definitely get not liking teleportation but for me the ripping robots apart and throwing their dismembered robo-corpses at each other makes up for it

already checking out the vast majority of them but............... Angry Birds????

Angry Birds has 4 1/2 stars and it is a game that you can kick back and play on the couch and it takes some work to get three stars on every level. It may not be the most complex or beautiful game, but I've put in a good number of hours on it!

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Pixel.Bandits
Protege

1. Yes, if you buy the Quest version of a game it will work on the standalone headset. Some titles are cross-buy meaning they will work on Rift but not all, so be aware if you want to use other headsets.

2. Thrill of the Fight (boxing) is awesome. Has loads of hours of game play and will get you fit if you play regularly. Vader Immortal - the dojos in episode 1 and 3 are great fun if you're into lightsabers. I also really enjoyed I Expect You to Die and Please Don't Touch Anything. They are puzzle games, similar to escape rooms. Bit short but fun to play.

3. I've been disappointed with both Beat Saber and Pistol Whip. The music is not to my taste and I haven't got a pc to do any mods. 

Oh I somehow missed this last night (it had been a long time since coffee). Thanks for the response!

Please don't touch anything was definitely on my radar but I wasn't 100%. Going to need to grab that one I think as I love a good escape room. And that's two voted for Vader Immortal so I guess that's on the list too.

Appreciate the heads up on mods for Pistol Whip. I'm not really into the whole modding thing. Never been sure why but just prefer playing the dev created environments. Is it just the music in beat sabre? I've only touched on it very briefly and as I don't mind the music so much that might not be a put off on my end

Pixel.Bandits
Protege

clouds5 said:

Just because it hasn't been mentioned: Until you Fall. Roguelike hack n slash melee combat title. It's fun to play a few rounds every once in a while, upgrade your weapons and see if you can get farther. It's also a pretty good workout.

ooooooh I like the sound of this. Is it one of those "play until you die. Use what you collected to upgrade and then do the same again to get a level ahead"? I've really enjoyed that style of title with Everspace on console so a hack n slash sounds good!

CecilandJoe
Protege
Is it just the music in beat sabre?

Yes pretty much. If there was a classic rock selection I could play it a lot longer and maybe the online challenge is fun too. I don't like playing on-line games, I don't want to talk to people when I'm gaming. Probably have to get over that if I'm to fully enjoy my quest but it's not something I feel comfortable with at present