cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the location of the Quest 2's center of mass?

Stratopian
Honored Guest
I'm an engineer with a neck problem, so I'm rigging up a counterweight for my Quest 2. I need to know the location of the Quest 2's COM so I can calculate the amount of weight I need to put in the spot I'd like to put it. Is this something that someone has measured, or something I can get directly from Oculus? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PITTCANNA
Visionary

I'm an engineer with a neck problem, so I'm rigging up a counterweight for my Quest 2. I need to know the location of the Quest 2's COM so I can calculate the amount of weight I need to put in the spot I'd like to put it. Is this something that someone has measured, or something I can get directly from Oculus? Thanks!

Depends on if you are using the fabric strap or the elite strap. 

That said its typically like 1.5 inches in front of face in between your eyes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Depends on if you are using the fabric strap or the elite strap. 

That said its typically like 1.5 inches in front of face in between your eyes.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
But i think your over thinking it, its not that much mass to begin with, I have the elite strap and it sits well.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
If it's anything like the quest 1 it's all at the front with the straps designed to somewhat redistribute the weight to the rear.  This is the counterweight setup I have on mine and it works extremely well.  It's a set of 2 oz fishing weights totalling 1 pound than I got on amazon which I have since clipped the loops off of and painted black to better match the headset.  I also moved a couple of them from the side straps to the bottom.

f75e3e94ys90.jpg

I imagine it's a similar thing with the quest 2 although it is lighter than the 1 by a bit.  It does put a bit more strain on my neck when looking straight up or down but those moments are few and far between and normal use doesn't hurt my neck at all.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Strongit said:

If it's anything like the quest 1 it's all at the front with the straps designed to somewhat redistribute the weight to the rear.  This is the counterweight setup I have on mine and it works extremely well.  It's a set of 2 oz fishing weights totalling 1 pound than I got on amazon which I have since clipped the loops off of and painted black to better match the headset.  I also moved a couple of them from the side straps to the bottom.

f75e3e94ys90.jpg

I imagine it's a similar thing with the quest 2 although it is lighter than the 1 by a bit.  It does put a bit more strain on my neck when looking straight up or down but those moments are few and far between and normal use doesn't hurt my neck at all.

That's just silly looking.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

PITTCANNA said:

Strongit said:

That's just silly looking.

Looks a lot better now that the loops are gone and they're painted flat black.  I like it better than a lot of other solutions since it's not bulky and you can adjust where the weight is by moving them to different parts of the strap.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz