cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What version of VR Desktop for Oculus Quest using Link

MikeyCyrus
Explorer
If I use the new "link" feature to hook up my Quest to my gaming rig to use as an Rift S, what version of VR Desktop should i use?
Should i buy the Rift/Rift S one for more features/performance?
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using vr desktop for other than streaming Oculus games? Just use the Virtual Desktop that the Rift uses.

MikeyCyrus
Explorer
Okies. yeah, I guess it will be a mix of Rift games, youtube, netflix and PC games 🙂
Just ordered a Quest for "my kids" for christmas

Anonymous
Not applicable
LoL. Your "kids" will be blown away. 🙂 Judging by the posts on Reddit, Santa's bringing quite a few Quests this year. And HTC just completely ran out of stock on DAS headstraps because of it. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
For the Rift games, you'd use the Link, but for PC games, you can either use the Virtual Desktop from the Quest itself, wirelessly over a 5GHz wifi connection, or you could use Link with Virtual Desktop installed on the PC. Unfortunately it isn't cross-buy, meaning you pay for both platforms, but the Quest version gives you the opportunity to play Rift games wirelessly as well, using a patch that the dev releases through SideQuest. And for Youtube and Netflix, they have apps for the Quest, though I'm not sure how well they work.

MikeyCyrus
Explorer

Spuzzum said:

LoL. Your "kids" will be blown away. 🙂 Judging by the posts on Reddit, Santa's bringing quite a few Quests this year. And HTC just completely ran out of stock on DAS headstraps because of it. 😛

Ohh, so that is something you recommend for me to look into eventually, the VIVE Deluxe Audio Strap?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You don’t need to buy Virtual Desktop to use Link with your Quest. You install the Oculus Rift software on your PC, and connect the Quest with a USB 3 cable; that allows you to play PCVR content, and also has a built-in desktop mode to access other things on your PC.

Virtual Desktop (the Quest app) will allow you to stream from your PC to the Quest over wifi, but it’s not at the same level of quality as Link.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

Ohh, so that is something you recommend for me to look into eventually, the VIVE Deluxe Audio Strap?

I would, but they're completely out of stock, and no word if HTC will have more produced or not, as the headset it was designed for, is also discontinued and out of stock.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

You don’t need to buy Virtual Desktop to use Link with your Quest. You install the Oculus Rift software on your PC, and connect the Quest with a USB 3 cable; that allows you to play PCVR content, and also has a built-in desktop mode to access other things on your PC.

Virtual Desktop (the Quest app) will allow you to stream from your PC to the Quest over wifi, but it’s not at the same level of quality as Link.

Good point...wasn't thinking of that.