cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White horizontal stripe across screen while using link

Panzer_mk2
Honored Guest
Headset seems to work fine stand-alone.  I use the headset with IRacing, and often (not always) get a translucent horizontal stripe across the screen after about 15 minutes or so.  It doesn't feel like the headset is overheating.  This doesn't show up on the screen mirror on PC, or if I "mirror" with the debug tool.  Is this likely a failing display or is there somewhere else I should look?
1,110 REPLIES 1,110

Chieflongshin
Honored Guest

I have this exact same issue. Has anyone found out what it is?

This is me today. 19-10900, 2080 ti, turn pc on, turn headset on, use proper oculus link cable, turn on assetto corsa and begin a race. 

Literally within 10 mins of use all of a sudden the translucent bar comes across the bottom of my screen, doens't show on the monitor, doesn't show in mirror but when I am looking its like the bottom third of the screen is useless. 

I have all the latest windows and Nvidia drivers and this still keeps happening. The headset isnt even 6 months old and barely had any use. 

Could it be a game thing? Unlikely as ive had it happen in a few. Turn off the link and play it standalone and it's absolutely fine. It's annoying I can't use something I bought for how I want to use it!

Sp0uny
Adventurer

Hi,

Today I tried to modify encode resolution width and encode bitrate in Oculus Debug Tool, without it bringing any improvement for me.

Default values in my case were :

- encode resolution width => 0

- encode bitrate => 300

I tried :

- encode resolution width => 3000

- encode bitrate => 200

==> White stripe after less than 2 min in the game

I tried :

- encode resolution width => 4000

- encode bitrate => 500

==> White stripe after less than 2 min in the game

No positive effect for me.

On the other hand, I noticed that in DR2, this problem appears systematically immediately after switching between the 2D display in the menus and the VR display at the start of the race, or the opposite (after a race just after returning 2D display in the menus).

This does not happen (or really very rarely) during a race in VR, once it has started and this problem has not appeared, I can finish my race without it happen.

For me it is obvious that it is related to the change of display mode.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

After v28, I'm getting this problem. 10700k+3080.

Anonymous
Not applicable

11 Pages. Do you think Oculus will ever even acknowledge the issue? 

Dimitriov646
Explorer

Ok. 

For people who just arrive with the same issue. Try my "potential workaround" page 10.

Don't spend money in cables, boards or anything : this already was tested by many and didn't solve anything. This is an oculus link encoding protocol issue. 

Things already tested with no result : 

- Downgrade Nvidia drivers to 457.30

- Change cable or USB port, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0, 2.0... Postal letter...

- Removing SteamVR

- OVerclocking GPU or CPU

- Downclocking GPU or CPU (actually downlock worked for sometime for someone, but you'll agree that it's not a solution you want to pick) If you don't know anything about OC : Don't even try. 

- XMP RAM - Same than before, if no clue what it is, don't try. 

- Oculus tray tool removal : Suggested anyway as it appears that it causes some conflicts seen on other forums. 

Only potential workaround is to be found page 10 on my only post, assuming that you cannot use AirLink. It worked for some people here, and others on some DCS World forums. It may not work though for you, it is not 100%. 

So basically, it's an oculus software issue, it's not on your side. If page 10 does not work, then things which were not yet tried are to suppress oculus software and reinstall it. Beware though, there may be some parameters kept on your computer which may make this solution useless, as the faulty parameters or files could remain. I suggest to check in appdata folders etc to make yourself sure that everything related to oculus is now gone. Not tried this though. Up to you. 

Nicolas

Dimitriov646
Explorer

And please note that as seen right above my previous post, the potential workaround page 10 does not do miracles for everyone anyway...

FourGoblin
Explorer

Finally got airlink working on my quest. While it isn't perfect it did solve the issue of the pink/white line appearing at least in my tests. If you have the network setup for it I highly recommend it, at least as a temporary solution until this is fixed. Ideally Oculus would still find a fix for this issue as the quality of video over airlink is worse and I'd like to have the choice between the two as opposed to only one of them working properly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree the cable I paid $80 for should work. 😂 

FourGoblin
Explorer

Yep, sending my official cable that I ordered back as my $20 partylink one was clearly not the issue with the situation.

I agree with everything posted by @Dimitriov646 

Nothing worked at the end.

Underclocking (as stupid as it is) eventually ended up with the same white stripes, even at -300MHz where I had to reduce the cars been rendered.

Encoder resolution width at 3000 worked for about a day. Even tried an encoder resolution width of just 1832, image is horrible and still white stripes.

The strange thing is, sometimes you change on thing (even a different PSU or different USB port) and it seems to work for like a day. Makes no sense.

My conclusion is, it is the Oculus Link encoder/composer that causes this.

The issue only persists with Oculus Link, even when the system is barely stressed.

I can heavily stress my GPU in other games without Oculus and have no issues at all. Everything works great.