cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White horizontal stripe across screen while using link

Panzer_mk2
Honored Guest
Headset seems to work fine stand-alone.  I use the headset with IRacing, and often (not always) get a translucent horizontal stripe across the screen after about 15 minutes or so.  It doesn't feel like the headset is overheating.  This doesn't show up on the screen mirror on PC, or if I "mirror" with the debug tool.  Is this likely a failing display or is there somewhere else I should look?
1,110 REPLIES 1,110

I am convinced most people are using the headset as standalone and just not played a PCVR game yet that has encountered the bug. I used my headset for almost a year without knowing about this issues until I bought Demeo and encountered the white box. 

Gnrl.Kanito
Explorer

today i was try again....the same after 10 min boom white on the bottom....i know that over air link not have this issue ...but need to lower the settings to work smooth ...sad that oculus ignore this issue ...need to take ticket support ..and show that we exist...and they must to fix it ...i hope so ...and i hope that someone fix the problem 

ben.mnd
Protege

Still continuing my technical support ticket from Oculus. They requested to disable Oculus Tray Tool, MSI After Burner, and send the logs. Here is my reply, which proves that it doesn't come from any external software, hardware, or even from the Quest 2 headset itself :

Hello,

As requested, here are the logs after disabling MSI AfterBurner, and OculusTrayTool. I couldn't disable SteelSeries as it's the interface for my keyboard to work.

I also uninstalled SteamVR.

A few notes :
- I only have MSI afterburner since 1 month,
- I only have SteelSeries since 3 monthes,
- I have a 3080 ti since 1 month, but had a 2080 ti since October 2020 (date of Quest 2 purchase),
- I have been having 3 different Quest 2 since October (RMA'ed two for dead pixels)

Considering all these infos :
the whiteband problem exists since late 2020 (I didn't tracer the HMD firmware and PC app exact versions since it happened though). So as this issue appeared on 3 different units, through 2 GPUs and different Windows setups, it doesn't seem to be linked to the HMD, but rather to PC encoding / HMD decoding.

About the today's logs :
A whiteband appeared nearly as soon as I launched the Link, just inside Oculus menu.
times 19:01, 19:07.

I managed to capture the HMD lens display, attachment "Capture_whiteband_in_HMD.JPG".
I then capture a PC screenshot to show that it's coming from the HMD, attachment "Capture_screenshot_from_PC.jpeg".

About Oculus Tray Tool : it seems like playing with encoding width and bandwith do lower the issue. It still persists, but not so often.

Thank you for your support, as you can see in the capture, it's making any PCVR Link experience unbearable.

Screenshot from pc : 

Capture_screenshot_from_PC.jpeg

capture of Quest 2 display, where you can see the horrible white band popping just right at entering Oculus Menu :

Capture_whiteband_in_HMD.JPG

As tests become more precise, it's more and more obvious that the issue comes from the way Oculus are encoding the data to the headset.

I was at about the same place over 6 months ago with Oculus "support", when I first filed a support ticket. That's before they simply decided to start ignoring my emails. 

Have you encountered this problem before running any games through link? I've had the same thing only after the that stripe appeared in game - only in the bottom part of the screen though. If it appears for you before running any games, then that's interesting. Chances of Oculus taking responsibility for the problem are slim to none though. That would take honesty and mental fortitude that they lack.

ben.mnd
Protege

@AlexiTQ yes it's happening right before any game, just after plugging the Link and just when entering Oculus PC menu.

Additional infos, hinting at potential Oculus encoder issue :

I tried with AirLink for 1 hour, as suggested by several sources.

For the 20 first minutes everything was perfect, and then suddenly, huge artifacts started to build in my headset :

Capture_artifact_Airlink_in_HMD.JPG

Once again I took a simultaneous screenshot from the PC, to show how it's supposed to render before encoding :

Capture_no_artifact_Airlink_on_PC.JPG

a few observations :
* for this AirLink scenario, the only way to make artifacts disappear is to look away in a complete direction, to "clear" the messy pixels.
* unlike the wired Link scenario, that "clearing" doesn't last. Visual artifacts always return after 10-15 seconds.
* the more seconds are passing by, the dirtier artifacts are becoming. To a point where after 20-30 seconds without clearing the view becomes simply unreadable.
* I tried the experience for 30 minutes, and couldn't find a way to make artifacts go away.
* I tried dynamic compression setting at max bitrate (200 mb/s), and fixed compression (max bitrate aswell), there was no difference.
* My Wifi is excellent, I'm 60 cm from a professional Wifi 6 router. The wifi infos in the Quest 2 mentions 1200 Mhz speed (the maximum for this headset).

Now if this is not a proof of bad encoding (or decoding), well I don't know what is ...

Forwarded to support indeed. If support doesn't aknowledge the issue, I think I'll escalate to John Carmack on Twitter (he's still a consulting CTO and often have commented some Oculus technical choices).

jereme.powers
Explorer

Oculus support has asked me to return my headset. Has anyone had this solve the issue? I am hesitant to return my well cared for and maintained headset for a refurbished one if this will not solve the issue. 

No, this will not solve the issue and this thread is full of these stories. Forward Oculus support to this thread. They should read it whole and solve it. Not replacing working headsets due to this evident Link SOFTWARE issue, which started to appear somewhen around updates v23-v25. Total amateurs. 😕

As Shawn wrote, this will not solve the issue as the issue is not the headset. I had 3 different Quest 2 since October 2020 (one RMA for dead pixels, one other for dead mic), and the issue persisted through all 3 headsets. Even when they were brand factory-new.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, I've had 2 headsets. Same problem persists. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I had it fixed. I did a complete wipe of my system, oculus, & steam drives. Full clean installs of everything and it was working great for 2 days. Today after work I played one round of Project Wingman and right before the second round it started happening again. I HATE MY QUEST!