Did you mean: 

Who's stupid idea

ROOMADMIN
Explorer
Was it to not have a normal USB plug on the end of that long cable 
23 REPLIES 23

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Probably because that is the standard for all technology now.
Also since most folks today would stare and wonder at parallel cables and because they cannot push that amount of data.
b9vuwymf3uve.jpeg
WAAAGH!

ROOMADMIN
Explorer
? It's not the standard at all. Why wouldn't they use it, you connect the Quest to a computer. Why not make the cable able to do that , all it is is a long charger cable now. It could have been a data cable as well 

enigma01
Trustee

MontyFlange said:
It could have been a data cable as well 

The supplied cable can be used to transfer data. A lot of newer computers have usb-c ports which you can connect to and transfer data. Older computers (such as mine) don’t have usb-c ports. I’m trying to find another cable that will work. I bought a usb-c to a cable 3.0 cable, but it doesn’t seem to be working for some reason. 

It's a good connection option now. As it becomes the standard for all non-apple devices, we won't have the USB/mini-USB/micro-USB mess that is currently a thing and we'll have 3.1 data speeds and power delivery without having to bother about which way up the thing gets plugged in. As always it's a pain for some during the change but it's the right choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Obviously they designed it on a PC with Powered USB PCIe Card and forgot to test it without one Powered!
Liable!!!!

jayhawk
Superstar

I"m sure they did it for a reason. Just because you don't know why doesn't make it stupid.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It's a power cable. Not a data cable. Did you not read the box?

Contents include: Power Adapter, Power Cable.

Whose stupid idea was it to equate "power" with "data" ?

enigma01
Trustee

Zenbane said:

But the Oculus support page under: ‘To transfer photos and videos from your computer to your Oculus Quest headset’ - Says to use the included USB 2.0 cable? I thought the ‘USB 2.0’ was typo, as there was originally a lot of reference to the Oculus Go on the Quest support page. I still thought the supplied cable could be used for data transfer though... no?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

enigma01 said:

Zenbane said:

But the Oculus support page under: ‘To transfer photos and videos from your computer to your Oculus Quest headset’ - Says to use the included USB 2.0 cable? I thought the ‘USB 2.0’ was typo, as there was originally a lot of reference to the Oculus Go on the Quest support page. I still thought the supplied cable could be used for data transfer though... no?

Looks like a website typo. Nothing on the box nor instructions that come with Quest indicate a free USB 2.0 cable.