cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't the Quest desktop software work with a 1650 TI card?

gman713
Protege
I get an error message saying my graphics card is not supported by Oculus, so I can't use the link cable.  It also won't let me download any games.  I thought the 16XX cards were supported according to their requirements?  Yet my old 1060 desktop card works fine and scores a 33K on Geekbench 5 Open CL, while my 1650 TI scores 41K on the same test.  I guess I can continue buying games off of Steam since they all run fine with my 1650TI.  They even download without any problems while Oculus doesn't let me.  I don't understand why Oculus doesn't work with my card since it's obviously capable.
12 REPLIES 12

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I see that the 1650 is not supported but the 1650 Super, 1660, and 1660ti are supported.  So, unfortunately your 1650ti is not on the list.  Also, if you are using a laptop, that may be an issue.  Maybe contact Oculus support and see if they can help.

Not sure what you mean about Steam games working with your card?  Is this wireless with Virtual Desktop?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

enigma01
Trustee
Did Nvidia actually release a 1650ti desktop GPU? Didn’t they just release the mobile variant of this and desktop version was skipped and became the 1650 super? 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe, but in any case the 1650ti is a pretty tired old card.  For desktops the 1650 shows 17% higher performance and the 1650S a whopping 63% better performance.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650S-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/4058vs3649

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

gman713
Protege
Thanks!  I get that it's not on the list but it beats out some of the desktop cards that are on there and work.  Also, I am able to play VR games through Steam and virtual desktop.  I was playing Saints and Sinners last night which is a pretty intensive graphical game compared to some older games. I'm also getting over 60 fps playing 1080p at high settings with games like the Witcher 3 and Doom eternal.   I know that the 1650ti is a weaker card but it's capable.  I have a desktop with a 2080 Super which is what I used for Half Life Alyx, however I like the idea that I also have a very portable solution as well.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@gman713 Ya, wireless with VD seems a lot more tolerant to low end gpu's than Link.  As you are well aware, it's pretty hard to beat a strong gaming desktop for good VR performance.  Still, nice that you can at least play some VR games ok on it wireless and most 2D games at high settings at 1080p.  

Also, you should be able to buy/install games at the rift store using your Oculus desktop app.  You don't need Link for that. They will then show up on your VD games menu.  If you have any Quest games that are cross-buy they will not cost anything, just download time and pc disk storage.  Because I have a Rift cv1 I mainly just use my Quest for mobile VR and wireless with VD.  Both SteamVR and Oculus games seem to have about the same performance with VD so unless Oculus titles are cross-buy I mainly buy Steam, depending on the price.

gman713
Protege
I tried installing a few games I own from Oculus onto my laptop with the 1650ti, but it won't let me download.  I'm thinking it has to do with the error message stating my graphics card is not supported. I wish there was a way to bypass that message. If the performance sucks, let me be the judge of that.  

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Hmm, I thoughtyou could just fresh install the Oculus app and bypass the setup (without link) to be able to log in and purchase games or bring in cross-buys.  Then just use VD wireless to access them.  Maybe check with the VD discord channel because I think quite a few guys are managing to do this with similar low end gpu's.

gman713
Protege
I'll try that.  Oculus won't allow me to install currently.

gman713
Protege
Just a November 2020 update... I reinstalled the oculus software on my 2020 Razer Blade Stealth 1650 TI graphics card.  This time I was able to download games successfully and was even able to finally enable Quest Link using the charging cable that originally came with my Quest!  The bad news is that the oculus software continues to state my graphics card is not supported and it won't let me launch any games.  It keeps saying that there was an error.  So now I tried to launch Steam VR.  No problem with Steam launching me into Steam VR Home.  I was able to successfully launch "Until You Fall" that I bought on Steam and play about 20 minutes without any issues.  It played smoothly and I was very impressed.  So this makes me scratch my head, wondering how can Steam VR work successfully using the Quest Link solution, but the oculus software doesn't let me do anything?  I don't mind buying all of my VR games from Steam going forward, but I would think that Facebook/Oculus would want my money too... especially since my 1650 TI card obviously works fine.