cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't my system compatible?

Quicsy
Explorer

I got a gaming laptop and I am tried both virtual desktop and air link on my headset. The system specs are an RTX 3050 GPU and an Intel i7 CPU. The computer is hooked up to ethernet, too. I also tested the steam VR capability test and it said the computer is VR capable. That being said, the oculus desktop app says I cant run the games because my graphics card is incompatible with the rift system software. Why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Quicsy  All very sad mate but unfortunately no cheap low end gaming laptop with a 3050, or even 3050ti is going to work well, if at all, with a Q2 using Link or Air Link.  The problem is that laptop gpu's do not perform nearly as well as desktop versions. 

For decent PCVR with a desktop gaming pc you need at least a rtx3060ti or better and this translates to approx. a laptop with a rtx3080, which is going to be very expensive.  This is why you are always best to get a good gaming desktop pc.  It will not only perform better, it will be less expensive and will be upgradeable.  I started out with a so-called gaming laptop so I've been there and done that, lol!

Oculus support really needs to update their recommended pc requirements for today's laptops separately from desktops imho.  Also, the SteamVR VR test app is way out of date (hence useless) and also needs updating.

So, if you have a low end gaming laptop you are probably just going to need to enjoy your Q2 with standalone mobile VR for now imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CLReagh
Explorer

same problem here, I know this computer is compatible 

I have no clue why it won’t work either. I checked the recommended specs and it’s well above it.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Quicsy  All very sad mate but unfortunately no cheap low end gaming laptop with a 3050, or even 3050ti is going to work well, if at all, with a Q2 using Link or Air Link.  The problem is that laptop gpu's do not perform nearly as well as desktop versions. 

For decent PCVR with a desktop gaming pc you need at least a rtx3060ti or better and this translates to approx. a laptop with a rtx3080, which is going to be very expensive.  This is why you are always best to get a good gaming desktop pc.  It will not only perform better, it will be less expensive and will be upgradeable.  I started out with a so-called gaming laptop so I've been there and done that, lol!

Oculus support really needs to update their recommended pc requirements for today's laptops separately from desktops imho.  Also, the SteamVR VR test app is way out of date (hence useless) and also needs updating.

So, if you have a low end gaming laptop you are probably just going to need to enjoy your Q2 with standalone mobile VR for now imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

CLReagh
Explorer

disable processor graphics in device settings 

Thank you so much man. I never knew how much different the laptop parts were from the desktops. Thanks for telling me.

I will try this

So why, when you check the supported Gpu's on the oculus page does it say all RTX30 series Gpu's are supported? I like many others purchased laptops or headsets based on what we found on oculus's own page.

Not good..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately a laptop GPU can be called a 3060, 3070 or 3080 but can not be compared to a desktop version.  Some deceptive marketing... check out this article:

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU Review | TechSpot

IanRJ
Protege

Your right, they are not as powerful. But not by a huge amount even your link shows that. On average 20 25%. But 25% slower than a super fast Gpu, is still enough to run games at a decent fps. Were not all after 100+ fps in Beatsaber. 

The min spec GPU according to Oculus is a GTX1060. The laptop RTX3050Ti is 4% faster and a lot better at rendering lighting affects etc.

My gripe is that we had the same problem with the CV1 and original Quest.

Cards were not supported, often way over spec, we used to get a little banner telling us when we booted up.

We could still play games and steam. Annoying but we could live with that.

Now the software is locked down. If your cards not on there list of supported Gpu's then it wont run, and blocks steam running as well. 

Now that's super shady.

If Oculus does not support the Laptop GPU then they should say so.