cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Facebook/Oculus be banning our accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've heard that Facebook are warning users about piracy and they will be ban-hammering accounts but does that mean that their ai will be picking up vr desktop via SideQuest as piracy and bam our accounts banned? I didn't even know that you could play cracked games on the quest until Facebook told us at reddit.com lol. Just to let Facebook know that I don't use any cracked games or apps because I don't want my account banned. Know I've found out that Facebook have been sneaking into our devices without our permission, that's against our privacy and I'm sure Facebook will be receiving a class action lawsuit for that. What's your stance this behaviour with Facebook snooping into our device?

15 REPLIES 15

Why are you citing VR Desktop? I thought we'd established that the version including Steam streaming wasn't banned but was the developer overreacting to Oculus asking to help with the development and now it will be officially coming. Sideloading it prior to that isn't pirating so why would that cause an account ban?

Anyway, sideloading pirated software is a legit way to get an account banned... same for other hardware like Xbox and PlayStation... same for Steam accounts if they figure out you've done it.

Amazing how that Reddit thread pretty quickly descended into all the pirates either defending pirating and then defending themselves... 'im not defending pirating, I'm just saying if my account is banned I'll have to pirate everything' or 'i didn't know pirating was possible, now thanks to Oculus' warning I do, thanks Oculus'... being the 2 typical responses.

But then I guess that's Reddit for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@DaftnDirect I was using vr desktop as my example because that's what I used to get steamvr via SideQuest working on my quest. I don't want Facebooks ai to band me in with pirates you see. You don't know how Facebook will use their piracy detection ai to detect cracked games and apps. I think it might ban innocent users by false positives.

I wouldn't let your dislike (if you have it) of Facebook feed you fears, I'm no fan of Facebook but this isn't an issue.

AI isn't really needed to check whether an APK is pirated or not, if I understand it correctly, all that's needed is a signature check of that APK.

Sideloading of non-pirated stuff is supported.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@DaftnDirect I hope you're right and that Facebook doesn't poke its nose in our device without our permission. They don't exactly have a great track record for privacy do they lol

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
This is slightly off topic.. but if you cast the headset to your phone, your broadband/internet has to be connected, but why is this? The instructions say both devices have to be on the same WiFi but they don’t mention you need an internet connection.
Presumably this is so that the Quest can send Facebook some data?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
VRBabe14 are you a babe are you 14? Damn!  😉 Anyhow, probably when you agreed to the terms and conditions when installing the app, you most likely already agreed to Facebook having access to your data. Most people don't read or understand those long T&Cs.  It's the same as reading the instruction booklet for things. Most people (men) don't bother. Well I don't 😄 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Shadowmask72 lol yes I'm a babe and no I'm not 14 as the 14 is the year that I got into vr 2014 with the dk2 ☺

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Fantastic! We need more female posters/VR enthusiasts.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

KaidenGoab
Honored Guest
c