cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any reason to buy elite dangerous on the oculus store instead of steam?

Anonymous
Not applicable
so the game is $60 on the oculus store, and $18 on steam for the same game. Is there any benefit to me buying the game on the oculus store? Since I have the quest headset, I'd have to play this game tethered to my PC either way.
9 REPLIES 9

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not sure, the devs made their own engine for the game, thus I don't know if ASW 2.0 is supported. If Quest using Oculus Link supports ASW 2.0 and if Elite supports ASW 2.0 - and if the Steam version does not support native Oculus drivers - then the Oculus version may secure the very best performance - in cases where your pc isn't fast enough to provide 72 fps.

Steam version may work on a future non-Oculus hmd, but maybe the Oculus version will too (using the program Revive).

Oculus version may soon go on sale too, maybe in an upcoming Summer sale.   

I love answering such questions  😄  😉

PS. I've got the Oculus version. In Trover it felt like upgrading from my GTX 1080 to a 2080 Ti going from the Steam version to the Oculus version - that's the true power of ASW 2.0. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, found this:

I don't own a Quest hmd - so I don't spend much time on Quest - but ASW is one of the most important inventions by Oculus, because it makes 45 fps look like 90:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-teases-positionally-aware-timewarp-for-quest/

Then again, the above may not be for Oculus Link, but normal Quest use - using Link you're running the full PCVR games. I've seen no full confirmation that Quest supports ASW 2.0 using Link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/fooib8/does_oculus_quest_link_use_asw_20/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
Hi,
in this case, I'd say the best option would be to buy the game directly through the developer's website. If you do so, you can request a Steam key, a key for the Oculus store, and you will have the possibility of a direct download from their website.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Do not buy  on oculus store until we know what is going on with their next expansion. As it stands we have been told by the Devs to assume ED:O will have no VR at all . If that is the case the oculus version is a dead end.
The version on steam has native oculus rift support so plays identically to the oculus store version . Only difference is it is easier to pin stuff like notepad or web browser in your cockpit on the oculus one but is that really worth risking buying a version of the game going out of support in around 9 months time?

Whilst you can buy direct from Frontier given frontier themselves don't even bother advertising it, also afaik everything they have said is that ED:O will be steam only.   Anyone with frontier store key I am confident won't lose out there , they will just migrate over to steam if that is the case, however my experience  of downloading from frontier was it was more of a pita than through steam .

Btw @RuneSR2 is correct ED runs of FDs home grown Cobra Engine so don't expect ASW 2.0.... even more so if they are dropping VR
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Dogmanbird
Protege
I haven't yet received my Quest, but I've noticed with my Steam purchased Project Cars 2, as of 12/6/20 there's now an Oculus VR option (as well as Steam VR) showing from within Steams launcher, so hopefully the same will eventually happen with E.D. especially if there is a great performance increase

Digikid1
Consultant
Steam is a much more robust and stable platform.  I would go there.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

I haven't yet received my Quest, but I've noticed with my Steam purchased Project Cars 2, as of 12/6/20 there's now an Oculus VR option (as well as Steam VR) showing from within Steams launcher, so hopefully the same will eventually happen with E.D. especially if there is a great performance increase

ED already supports the rift native even on steam. 
Edit ok it is possible only some people can run ED on steam natively. Madness but there you go. I know for a fact I can  but it seems those who bought after April last year may not be able to. (so I apologise)
In that case I suggest open composite

https://amp.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9jd9u2/considerable_performance_boost_with_oculus_r...
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I've been too lazy to check whether the games I buy on Steam have native Oculus support or not. Basically I just go for whichever is the cheapest. If I've run any non-Oculus games, I really haven't noticed any poor performance.
Most of my VR games happen to be on Oculus but I think that's because of the exclusives and Oculus funding bringing more stuff to that store so I hope that continues, but I've not had any issues with SteamVR at all.

I think for Elite, whichever store you go for, just assume you're buying the game as is and the upcoming expansion is something else you probably won't be able to use. If you consider whatever price is offered for the currrent game is good... go for it. $18 is way less than I paid.

Those of us who bought Elite: Dangerous at launch had to pay again for Horizons... $80 i think in total even with a £10 discount for pre-ordering.

Digikid1
Consultant

Those of us who bought Elite: Dangerous at launch had to pay again for Horizons... $80 i think in total even with a £10 discount for pre-ordering.

Wait.....what?!?!?!?