cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

developer mode without VR-ready PC for quest 2

abbastia
Explorer

Hi, I want to buy an oculus quest 2 since I don't have a VR-ready pc but I wanted anyway to start developing VR games, is it possible even with my pc? Or should I still get a VR ready one? I'm asking since the Oculus documentation doesn't mention the need of having such a PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

But do I still need to connect it to the pc through the usb cable or do I need to buy something like VR Desktop?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star

I don’t develop games, but I can’t imagine how you’d develop a game without a good PC. Also, when buying a computer, beware that “VR ready” is a gimmick label that doesn’t really mean anything. Something could be “VR ready” for a ten year old headset and be useless for a current one. You should look into/have someone look into actual computer specs. 

It's not a problem of the pc itself, because I asked to a friend of mine and he told me it was above average, it just happens to have a Nvidia GTX 1650 max-q mounted in, which is not supported by the Oculus devices, but I have been developing 2d and 3d games and it works fine. I just don't want to build a VR game and then find out I cannot use it with the Quest.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

realistically its possible, you just won't be able to link.

You will encode all in unity and/or unreal engine, then sideload the apk to your quest.

Sidequest vr doesn't need an intensive computer to operate and install apps.

But do I still need to connect it to the pc through the usb cable or do I need to buy something like VR Desktop?

only if you want to do link or steam vr.  If you developing exclusively for the quest and don't intend to use link or steam vr apps.  

That said the more the computer the better the developing process will be, so in short if you don't want to run into issues a vr capable "link requirements is best".

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

ok thank you a lot

Llama_Toast
Honored Guest

Hey i am in the exact same scenario, are you able to develop oculus games without a VR ready pc?