cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to use external camera instead of built-in cameras on Oculus Quest?

bad000juice
Honored Guest
just like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gSZwVMybc

what device should i get or what operations are supposed to do ?
if there are some tutorials would be even more sweet!
thank you for help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
A first simple test would be to set up a network/web camera that publishes its video on a webpage, which is common for most network cameras. Then you can use the Oculus Quest web browser to see the video. If you show the video in full-screen it will likely be quite sufficient. Then you can use the remote vehicle controller as in the video you posted.

The second step (this can go on forever ? ) is to set up a VR 180 camera stream and show it in the browser. I'd say this should be almost exact what the posted video shows.

Considering hardware, I think a cheap remotely controlled car and an old smartphone is a good start. Run a webcam app on the smartphone and attach it to the remote car. It's a start at least, then you can upgrade to a better/more expensive camera later.

The next step would be to create a Quest specific app that can show the network camera VR video stream in a better way and implement remote control of the vehicle in the app to use the Quest controllers instead and perhaps use head movements to control the camera. But this is a lot of work for little gain in functionality.

I have been thinking of something like this (that's why I had the above steps on my mind). But currently I'm trying to learn Unity (I made a red cube and got it running in the Quest yesterday *yay!*).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
A first simple test would be to set up a network/web camera that publishes its video on a webpage, which is common for most network cameras. Then you can use the Oculus Quest web browser to see the video. If you show the video in full-screen it will likely be quite sufficient. Then you can use the remote vehicle controller as in the video you posted.

The second step (this can go on forever ? ) is to set up a VR 180 camera stream and show it in the browser. I'd say this should be almost exact what the posted video shows.

Considering hardware, I think a cheap remotely controlled car and an old smartphone is a good start. Run a webcam app on the smartphone and attach it to the remote car. It's a start at least, then you can upgrade to a better/more expensive camera later.

The next step would be to create a Quest specific app that can show the network camera VR video stream in a better way and implement remote control of the vehicle in the app to use the Quest controllers instead and perhaps use head movements to control the camera. But this is a lot of work for little gain in functionality.

I have been thinking of something like this (that's why I had the above steps on my mind). But currently I'm trying to learn Unity (I made a red cube and got it running in the Quest yesterday *yay!*).

bad000juice
Honored Guest

JohanTEA said:

Hi Johan, i just followed your steps and everything simply works perfectly !
Thank you so much buddy, good luck with Unity !

Anonymous
Not applicable

JohanTEA said:

Hi Johan, i just followed your steps and everything simply works perfectly !
Thank you so much buddy, good luck with Unity !

Hi, I am thinking about doing something similar. Have you got stereo vision working or just one webcam?