cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie desktop PC or Virtual PC question

super_kjjr
Honored Guest

Dear Oculus community

I got a Quest 2 recently. I wanted to connect it to a Windows PC and use it with Air Link.

I have 2 Options and need help in deciding if both work equally :

Option 1> I have an ESXi server running on a AMD Ryzden 16 Core machine at home. I can spin up a Windows PC with Windows 10 (virtual) on the same network on which Oculus is.

Option 2> I can setup a desktop PC separately for the Oculus SteamVR. (as per minimum requirements).

I prefer Option 1: its cheaper.. has anyone tried it ? any gotchas ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That depends on the laptop spec. If it has a good AMD or Nvidia GPU and 16GB of RAM or more, it'll probably be fine. Some very recent GPUs (The RTX3050Ti seems to be a particular issue at the moment) aren't recognised as compatible.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The performance of option 1 will depend heavily on the performance of the vGPU in the VM. What physical GPU do you have in the ESX box, is it vDGA compatible (from here ) and is it utilising DirectPath I/O? If it is, you may have a chance, although the GPU performance may still be negatively affected by the passthrough API and Airlink is famously fussy about the GPUs it'll cooperate with.

Expect to go with option 2 in the end.

super_kjjr
Honored Guest

Thanks user_901925786032222!

I will go with option 2. 

a related question: I have a windows 10 Lenovo laptop (T14 Gen2) would that work OR do I need a desktop ?

That depends on the laptop spec. If it has a good AMD or Nvidia GPU and 16GB of RAM or more, it'll probably be fine. Some very recent GPUs (The RTX3050Ti seems to be a particular issue at the moment) aren't recognised as compatible.