Did you mean: 

recording

Moneybagvr
Explorer
can I record anyone without promission if they don't want to be recorded
9 REPLIES 9

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
? If you mean using the Quest's cameras to record people around you, I'm not sure. But I don't think the cameras record your surroundings. If you mean recording someone else who's playing a VR game using your phone or a camcorder... Well, that's the same sticky wicket it's always been. If you mean recording their gameplay from in-game without their knowing... Doesn't the person wearing the headset have to enable recording mode?
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Moneybagvr
Explorer
gameplay on the Oculus quest and they donnt want there match b
recorded from Another player do they have to ask for promission 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
In that case, I would say always ask at the start of the match if people mind you recording. Tell them what the recording will be used for. And if someone says "no", you don't record that match.

Moneybagvr
Explorer
I agree but is there a rule ? like I can show them 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
The rule is "be polite and respect the wishes of others". If they don't want you recording them, do not record them. It's that simple. This is why you should ask before you start recording. I've streamed and recorded clips of Blood Bowl 2 and DC Universe Online, but if my team/opponent says they don't want to be recorded, I don't record or stream while playing with them.

EDIT: If you already caught them in the recording before finding out they don't want to be recorded, I'd suggest editing the video to remove the parts with them in it before sharing.

FunctionsNot
Explorer
Recording games is covered by the games EULA. You are not recording a person, you are recording an avatar or character controlled by a person. If the EULA allows recording you should be fine since agreeing to that is the same as agreeing to others recording their game-play and by extension you.

As far as I am aware there is no precedence on game-play recording and privacy matters other than what is stated in a games EULA. Look at streamers, they record other players systematically and I have not heard of any case that has gone to a point where lawyers and the courts having to get involved. There is no law on this matter other than general privacy rules that state that no personal information should be shared without consent.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Even if the EULA says "go ahead", if someone tells you they don't want to be recorded I'd still say you should not record them. VR is a lot more personal then 'pancake' games. Even if you can't hear the other person, every action taken is something they are actually doing rather then an idle animation or animation caused by a key press. And people take offense to being recorded in 'pancake' games against their will.

FunctionsNot
Explorer
That was not the point. It was a question about the rules and the set of rules that is applicable here is general privacy rules and the games EULA.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

That was not the point. It was a question about the rules and the set of rules that is applicable here is general privacy rules and the games EULA.

Actually, it's not that clear cut. It's not just the EULA. It's also the laws of whatever state or country each person is in you need to worry about. In your location it might be a 1 party consent environment. But that other person who told you not to record them? In their state or country it might be an all-party consent environment. In which case, if you didn't tell the other party you're recording you're breaking the law. Or if they ask you not to record them, and you do so anyway without telling them, this could be a problem. Especially if you verbally or in text agreed not to record.

A video game is not the same thing as being out in a public park. All parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy and not being recorded. In addition, your recording or streaming content may well run afoul of that game's EULA too. It may allow recording/streaming, but your specific content may be disallowed.

All of these reasons and more are why common decency says to ask before you record, and to not do so if anyone objects.