cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APK/OBB Size Limitation

ehanson001
Explorer
According to the Tech Note on expansion files, the total application size of a Quest application can be increased by building an APK file that loads OBB expansion files. However, this page indicates that the maximum supported size of APK and OBB expansion files is 4GB. Our application is currently about 20GB in size. How would the asset bundle OBB expansion file along with the main APK file approach allow for the total 20GB size, so that our application can be uploaded? Are there any workflow tutorials on this method? Unity 2019.1.5f1, Oculus SDK 1.49.0, thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Turisas
Explorer

Hello.

@ehanson001, did you found solution for you problem? I've faced with exactly the same problem ( a lot 360 videos ). And I want include as many as possible videos at start and download rest after. But it's unclear how many obb files and size of obb I can use.

Looks like unity now may produce .obb files larger than 2 Gb ( https://forum.unity.com/threads/create-obb-with-video-bigger-than-2-gb-for-android-assetbundle.50331... ). Not tested yet.

And from Oculus/Meta documentation it's unclear how many .obb files may be included. Looks like if use Required Asset files so I may include several ( but what is the total size limit? )

ehanson001
Explorer

Hi Turistas, not sure if there is a cap on how many OBBs for an app, but I do run 12 OBBs currently, but have not exceeded the 2GB limit, I think we had issues testing higher than that. There have been several issues w/ the Quest installer not finishing the install correctly but reporting a successful one, likely from a weak or intermittent wireless. I am not confident it has been fixed, as I still see an occasional user complaint (and associated negative review). Be careful w/ that, it's been a real problem, one that is beyond my control and very frustrating. HIH,

Can I ask you how you split obb into 12?  Our application is currently about 6GB. I also wanted to Split obbs, but unity's "Split Application Binary" only split a mian.obb.

Sorry, I sent it back to someone else.

Can I ask you how you split obb into 12?  Our application is currently about 6GB. I also wanted to Split obbs, but unity's "Split Application Binary" only split a mian.obb.

Hi, I realize this is over a year old, but I'm hoping you see this. I am using Unity for my project and am only able to build with one APK and one OBB file. I've been looking everywhere to see a way of splitting one OBB into several but not finding much to go on. Are you using Unity for your project? If so how do you split one OBB into several OBB files?

ehanson001
Explorer

Funny you should ask this, I am now asking Meta to inform how to attach multiple OBBs to an add-on DLC, seems to be only one possible from the docs. As for a std app, you can have many OBBs along with the apk upload syntax, expressing a folder vs file. I create these multiple OBBs through Unity, not splitting any per se.

Oh yes, that would be the next challenge for me then! Lol Using Meta Developer Hub I've only seen the option for one OBB as well. Please let us know here if you find a way.

Also very curious how you make multiple OBBs through Unity. The only option I've seen is you can click "split binary" and it gives you one APK and OBB. All the documentation and forums I've read say only on OBB can be created through Unity. If you can shed some light on this, I would really appreciate it as I've been searching everywhere and cannot find the answer.

Care to elaborate on the process of splitting up OBB files and uploading them?

I've only ever seen people mentioning that this is possible, but every time someone asks how to do it, they go silent. There's no tutorial or any guidance on this process and it would be extremely helpful if someone could shed some light on this subject.

Splitting Unity OBB (split Binary) into multiple OBBs and uploading them (the Oculus Platform Tool only has a single upload option for OBB).

ehanson001
Explorer

No worries all, back in 2019 it was a package mgr item called Asset Bundle Browser. It is now gone, so we went back to the source, but had to modify it quite a bit for 2022:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AssetBundles-Browser/tree/master

Good luck!