cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Integration 31.0 Passthrough API does not work

korinVR
Level 5

Has anyone managed to enable the passthrough function?
https://developer.oculus.com/experimental/passthrough-api/

I've tried the Oculus Integration 31.0 passthrough sample scenes, but I'm getting the error "Failed to initialize Insight Passthrough. Passthrough will be unavailable." OVRManager passthrough related options are enabled. I confirm I'm using Oculus runtime v31 and OVRPlugin 1.63.0, and the experimental system property is enabled.

<uses-feature android:name="com.oculus.experimental.enabled" android:required="true" />
<uses-feature android:name="com.oculus.feature.PASSTHROUGH" android:required="true" />

>adb shell getprop debug.oculus.experimentalEnabled

It seems OVRP_1_63_0.ovrp_InitializeInsightPassthrough() fails.

Katsuomi Kobayashi (@korinVR) at XVI Inc.
29 REPLIES 29

Fectar
Level 3

I still haven't had any luck getting the passthrough to work. Hope someone else has a better solution!

Yeah no luck there. Even check the mode with getprop. Definitely experimental.

cazforshort_0-1628783467438.png

ArcueidDathemon
Level 3

Looks like I manage to enable it somehow, recreation of AndroidManifest and one of scene start working.

DarkTable
Level 7

You should check which version of the Oculus XR Plugin you're using in the package manager. There was a recent preview version that addressed an initialization issue similar to the passthrough issue people are describing here (only works if splash screen is enabled).

[1.10.0-preview.1] - 2021-05-19

• Fixed issue #1325113, where hand tracking was not working on Quest/Quest 2 when the Unity splash screen was disabled

You recreated AndroidManifest?

dilmergames
Level 3

Interesting, I've followed everything suggested here as well as doing many different tests but still no luck, all I see is a black background and no passthrough.

Here're my packages just in case someone knows the issue:

"com.unity.xr.management""4.0.7",
    "com.unity.xr.oculus""1.10.0",

Unity Version: 2020.3.16f1

I've also tested every single passthrough scene under SampleFramework > Usage > Passthrough > Scenes 

I will keep testing and if I fix it I will post the solution.

Thanks everyone

How do you do run-time loggins on Quest 2?

I normally use adb under platform tools and logcat which then I use the results by piping to a text file as follows:

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.29f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK\platform-tools> .\adb.exe logcat > C:\temp\log.txt

Just what I needed. Thanks!

korinVR
Level 5

I've just found the Passthough API only works on IL2CPP/ARM64. It might be one of the pitfalls.

I brought confusion by starting this thread, so I wrote a step-by-step guide to build the passthrough scene.

- Create a new 3D template project with Unity 2021.1
- Open Build Settings and switch to Android platform
- Open Project Settings and switch "Color Space" to Linear
- IMPORTANT: And change "Script Backend" to IL2CPP and enable "ARM64" Target Architectures only
- Open Project Settings > Install XR Plugin Management and click "Install XR Plugin Management", enable "Oculus" plugin
- Import Oculus Integration 31.0 (and click "Yes" "Restart" "Upgrade" when dialogs appear)
- Open the "AugumentedObjects" scene in Assets/Oculus/SampleFramework/Usage/Passthrough/Scenes
- IMPORTANT: Select OVRManager and enable "Experimental Features Enabled" and "Passthrough Capability Enabled" (I feel the line "Requires Experimental Passthrough Capability enabled in the project settings" below is a bit confusing)

- IMPORTANT: And you need to enable the Quest experimental system property. This property will be reset when you reboot the Quest.
  - Open Package Manager and install "Android Logcat" from Unity Registry
  - Open "Window > Analysis > Android Logcat" (make sure Quest is connected)
  - Select "Tools > Open Terminal" from the top-right button
  - Execute "adb shell setprop debug.oculus.experimentalEnabled 1"

- Back to Unity and "Build and Run"

Now it should work 🙂

Katsuomi Kobayashi (@korinVR) at XVI Inc.

View solution in original post