cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointer Pose implementation

Jay-D3000
Honored Guest

Hi,

for my Master's thesis, I'm implementing custom hand gestures and have been trying to derive a pointing direction from the bone positions and orientations provided by the hand tracking. The pointing direction I end up with is very unstable and shaky though (because the bones themselves are too) and I haven't had much luck with filtering, it's either still shaky but responsive or less shaky but very sluggish. So I tried the Pointer Pose provided by the Oculus plugin and it's way smoother, but I can't really point below a certain height.

So my question is: is there some way to see how the Oculus Pointer Pose is implemented or even get access to the source code? Or alternatively a way to "adjust" the Pointer Pose to work better with different hand postures and different pointing angles?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

madturtle84
Explorer

I just used the transform of the wrist (root) bone and applied some smoothing techniques like deadzone and interpolation. With the right numbers the result can be pretty close to what Oculus's pointer pose provides.