cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in choosing the right PC

BarbWiredLife
Honored Guest
Hi all, I'm new here-I want to be able to use Oculus Quill to create VR characters and environments.  I have nothing right now-ie I dont even own an Oculus, nor a PC (I have a Mac).  I want to choose wisely 🙂  Any advise on a PC that can handle what I need it to, but without breaking the bank?  I do not forsee me adding a lot of other programs to the PC.  Thanks much! 
4 REPLIES 4

Techy111
MVP
MVP
What's your budget ? 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

BarbWiredLife
Honored Guest
hm, not a whole lot, probably around $1300?

PIXELATED
Adventurer

Hi all, I'm new here-I want to be able to use Oculus Quill to create VR characters and environments.  I have nothing right now-ie I dont even own an Oculus, nor a PC (I have a Mac).  I want to choose wisely 🙂 

I just spotted your post and it reminded me of what i had to do to get the Rift up and running.
My specs are in my signature (enable signatures if only for this post)
I use my Mac for 'work' as a photographer and use my bill gates windows machine for games... nothing else. I spent too much time researching what was best to build the PC i have but I can give you a few hints... 

If you want your experience to last don't go for budget as in the PC world everything updates so quick.

Do some research on motherboards that cope with USB3. Buy the best graphics card you can afford. GTX1080 or more. Get a Solid state drive (SSD) that will home your operating system (i recommend win 10 pro as you will have more control over win 10 basic to control everything) and invest in a good power supply 800w or more... oh and then there's the cpu... it's not that important to get the latest one just the one that every geek jokes about being out of date. CPU for VR is not as important as graphics card or fast hard drive + RAM. As a mac user you'll appreciate CPU and RAM to be important but it's not like that with gaming on a PC, the graphics card and what it sits on is important.

Invest in a good cpu cooler, near silent cooling fans and a boring looking insulated case with usb sockets on the outside. Cos if you buy cheap you'll have to put up with a lot of noise when running the Rift while your computer tries to cool everything unlike enjoying the silence of Apple's machines while they process what you ask it to do (-:

1500 bucks seems about right these days - or £2000 in English money should last you 5+ years

Good luck

Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you don't know much about building computers, it may be best to get an Oculus Ready PC as that will be the easiest option (and also cheapest, given the current state of GPU pricing). I would recommend sticking to a desktop computer and not a laptop, though if you need a laptop be sure you get one from the below link (others may not work).
https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV