cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the new controllers EVER going to be supported for a product I bought less than 6mo ago ???

420inPortland
Expert Protege
So are we ever going to be able to use the new Quest controllers with the Rift S now that they have stopped supporting it? I just got mine last summer, and I want to know if they expect me to buy a whole new system when my controllers go, which will be far sooner than my headset, or are they gonna make them compatible as a BARE MINIMUM STEP TO SUPPORT THE PRODUCT I BOUGHT LESS THAN 6MO AGO???
I would also appreciate any info on where I can buy a set of controllers NOW, so I have extras laid in for later since they are apparently unconcerned with supporting a product they charged $400 for 6mo ago...
Ryzen 7 1800X, Auros X470 Gaming Ultra, Power Color RX 580, 4200Mhz Corsair Hynix 32g, 500g Samsung 970 EVO (OS Drive), 1TB Silicon Power Gen 4 (Game Drive), Custom Water Loop 
11 REPLIES 11

Richooal
Consultant
Although you didn't say where you are from, I found Rift S controllers available for sale in the first 2 countries I looked at.

Did you even try to look at the Oculus site under "Rift S",  "Accessories"?

You mention "$" in your post so I think you might be from Australia, yeah? You mention 420 in your name, so maybe from Nimbin?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Rift S accessories

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kojack
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

You mention "$" in your post so I think you might be from Australia, yeah?

He said $400. The Rift-S was $649au. So it would be american.

So are we ever going to be able to use the new Quest controllers with the Rift S now that they have stopped supporting it?

The odds are low. Oculus has never allowed controllers from one headset to work with another. The only exception is the Quest 1 and Rift-S, since they actually use the same controller.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

420inPortland
Expert Protege
My problem is not so much purchasing more controllers, although I could not get the accessories page to load the other day, as it is with feeling like I might have to pony up another $130 now when I just bought this headset 6mo ago. Seems like if they were going to quit selling the rift S they could have at least added compatibility with the new controllers that will be available going forward.
Ryzen 7 1800X, Auros X470 Gaming Ultra, Power Color RX 580, 4200Mhz Corsair Hynix 32g, 500g Samsung 970 EVO (OS Drive), 1TB Silicon Power Gen 4 (Game Drive), Custom Water Loop 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@420inPortland  You have a 12 month warranty so it's up to you whether or not you want to purchase spares now.  If you are really worried about Oculus not carrying stock after your warranty period  you could purchase extra controllers now, and maybe a spare cable as well.  Neither should be necessary if you take care of your Rift S properly imho.  Your $'s so your decision.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems like if they were going to quit selling the rift S they could have at least added compatibility with the new controllers that will be available going forward.

Going forward is only the Quest 2 (until new hmds are announced) - don't expect Oculus to keep manufacturing parts for hmds they no longer sell. Oculus may of course sell parts as long as stocks last. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

420inPortland
Expert Protege
@TomCgcmfc, I don't expect them to crap out in the first 12mo necessarily, I am talking in 24-36mo down the road, after hundreds of hrs of use, joystick return springs get loose, membrane buttons no longer read as they should, etc. I just think it is not an unreasonable request to make the new controllers backward compatible, even if some of the features cannot be used, like the thumb rest sensor for example. Xbox, and Sony make controllers available for many yrs after a console, I don't see why oculus can't do the same.

Richooal
Consultant

Xbox, and Sony make controllers available for many yrs after a console, I don't see why oculus can't do the same.

Facebook is a software company, they're still learning about selling (and supporting) hardware devices.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

420inPortland
Expert Protege

Richooal said:
Facebook is a software company, they're still learning about selling (and supporting) hardware devices.

I think they should still be able to see the need for compatibility going forward, just like they update their software but your comment did amuse me. Btw, how do I get my specs to show like yours are?