cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artificial or sunlight?

AshKnight
Level 2
Ok so I know the warning say not to expose the rift s to direct sunlight but but does that mean I have to completely cover up my window and use only artificial light? Or can I leave my blinds closed and call it good there with some sunlight coming through? I’m sure it’s a simple answer and I’m probably over thinking it but it’s better to be safe than sorry. 
2 REPLIES 2

geebee666
Level 7
Don't let the lenses face sunlight coming through the window, and store with the lenses facing a low light area.
I have had a CV1 for over 2 years and use it in a brightly lit (by sunlight) room with zero issues, but the lenses never face the windows and it is stored in a shelf with the lenses facing the dark area in the rear.

I would not leave the Rift facing bright light sources even light globes for a prolonged period of time.

Richooal
Level 12
The lenses are very powerful. When sunlight shines through them onto the LCD screen, the screen is burnt very quickly. It's just like using a magnifying glass to burn wood or paper.
Normal ambient light shouldn't be a problem, but never leave the headset where the sunlight can shine directly onto the lenses.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.