cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio drivers crash fix ETA?

Llambb
Honored Guest

It's been almost a full year since this issue started popping up for many people (Aug/Sept 2019). Just wondering when this issue would get addressed/fixed. Its existed since 1.38 or 1.39 where audio will stop on the headset after a brief moment where the entire headset (audio, video) freezes. Video in the Rift S resumes but audio no longer works. This prevents audio from working not just in game but from anything played on the computer with the Rift S as the output audio source. Even videos from Youtube won't even be able to play until you manually restart these drivers (disabling/enabling the Rift S audio). Example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn448wcU-rE&feature=youtu.be where the drivers already crashed. You'll be able to see that when I switch to my monitor's audio drivers, the video plays no problem but switching back to the Rift S audio drivers stops playback. 

I won't be sending any tickets as that proves to be a waste of time as I've already tried doing that in the past (hardware isn't officially supported bs, etc..) Many people have experienced this but I'm surprised it still hasn't been fixed or even addressed. I've been reading on posts that affect not just the Rift S but even the Rift in the past. All of these posts have people coming up with workarounds but no responses from Oculus employees/support.

Currently, I have to go into my Windows 10 sound settings and manually disable/enable the Rift S audio drivers to get audio back. It's completely unacceptable. I'm tired of periodically having to take off my headset, minimize the game on my monitor and go to sound devices and disable/enable the Rift S audio. This doesn't happen every single play session but every other or every third play session.

Another thread of people experiencing the exact same thing I'm describing: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/87559/rift-s-audio-issues/p1

X1 Extreme Gen 1 8750h w/ Aorus 1070 Gaming Box, using a USB port of the laptop.

3 REPLIES 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Try using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) audio switching options. This seems to work well for me.  Win10 feature updates can also screw around with audio settings 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Llambb
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Try using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) audio switching options. This seems to work well for me.  Win10 feature updates can also screw around with audio settings 

The Oculus Tray Tool knows when the Rift S audio drivers crash and to disable/enable them to get them working again, automatically? I'm not having issues with changing audio sources if you're confused about what I was saying in my original post.

And even if it was Windows 10 updates, this has existed since Aug/Sept 2019. Oculus needs to update their software to be compatible with the latest Windows builds if that was the case but I doubt it. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
No, what I meant was that once you actually have your win10 audio drivers working, OTT seems to help stabilize the audio switching when you go in/out of Oculus VR.  I have a dual headset setup (Vive Pro and Rift cv1) so I have twice as many audio settings to muck around with, lol!  I still think that the main audio problems I have needed to deal with have been win10 related, not Oculus.  I find that once I've sorted all my audio out it all works very well.  At least until the next big win10 feature update, lol!

I've also found that some nvidia driver updates can screw up my audio.  I've found that what often helps is to uninstall them using DDU in safe mode and then reinstall what you think is a stable driver (442.19 for me) and only install the nvidia driver, hd audio and physx, not geoforce exp.

Up to you but I think you should start a ticket and work though Oculus support, including sending them log files.  They may be able to identify if there is an obvious problem and may have some suggestions.  Sorry that you are having so many problems.  I'm sure it's very frustrating for sure.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers