cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio sometimes drops out in left ear piece

Grampilla_Ice
Honored Guest
Until I tap it a few times.
Are the audio circuits on slider type contacts our ribbon type cable?
Ryzen 7 2700X
Asus Prime X470 Pro MB
G. Skill TridentZ RGB 2X16GB
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB G1 Rev2
Corsair 600T Graphite Series Arctic White
4 REPLIES 4

SwirlyMaple
Expert Protege
They're ribbon cable, but your problem might be much simpler. The headphones screw on, and sometimes the screw that holds them loosens and the contacts don't make a good connection. The rift comes with a  small plastic flathead screwdriver that you can tighten them with. Give that a try, I've seen the exact issue you describe and that's all the problem was. If that still doesn't fix it, try removing that headphone completely, and use either a clean pencil eraser (yes, really) or a little bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean the electrical contacts. Make sure they're free of any contamination and dry, then put the headphone back on. That could also fix it. If none of that helps, it might be the ribbon cable, but hopefully not because there is no easy fix for that.

Grampilla_Ice
Honored Guest
I did not see a plastic screw driver in the little box in the big box.
Ryzen 7 2700X
Asus Prime X470 Pro MB

SwirlyMaple
Expert Protege

Well, don't know what to tell you about that... Maybe it's not included anymore, maybe you accidentally tossed it...? It's a small short black plastic stick with an end that looks like a flathead screwdriver that is sized to fit the slot of the headphone retaining fastener. You could always use a regular flathead screwdriver for the same thing, but be warned that doing so will possibly scratch/mar/dent the head of the fastener.

Edit: I just checked, the edge of a U.S. penny fits sorta ok too, if you're really desperate.

Grampilla_Ice
Honored Guest
Found it...with lens cleaning cloth
Ryzen 7 2700X
Asus Prime X470 Pro MB