cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ben Lang on the Modular / Moddable Nature of Rift-S

CrashFu
Consultant
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-accessories-headphones-audio-visual-fit/amp/

Ben Lang being critical as always, but at the same time pointing out some exciting possibilities for Rift-S' future.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing upgrade options (audio-related, especially) and I think that would compliment the Rift-S' low initial pricetag well, especially if that low price drops even further in the future.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
10 REPLIES 10

ShocksVR
Superstar
When I first saw the Halo disconnects and the speakers have their own dedicated audio jack, it was my hope there would be 3rd party accessories.

Just imagine.  Oculus or some other party releases a headphones addon.  But it uses the internal audio jack that the Halo uses; thus making the whole thing seamless.  OR a 3rd party designs a strap similar to the CV1 headset (for those that want that). Endless possibilities.

IMO, Rift S may be the most modable headset put out by Oculus thus far which makes it easily repairable (unlike the CV1, where 1 minor issue required replacing the entire headset).  Lets see what happens.

And if we take into consideration that Rift S and Quest share the same Touch controllers, so any accessories made for "Quest controllers" will automatically work for Rift S; wowza !  If Quest is a big hit (like I think it will be) then there could be a lot of accessories us S owners will have access to.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

I didn't realise the headset detached from the halo like that. Definitely lots of possibilities.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, maybe us Rift-S soon to be users will be able to add a Quest module, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Ben Land Said: "PSVR on the other hand has a very similar lens-to-eye adjustment that moves the whole visor, but the face gasket is soft and flexible, so it doesn’t prevent you from putting the lenses in their ideal position.

Even though it means exposing my peripheral view to the outside world, I nearly prefer to use the Rift S with the face gasket removed entirely because of the benefits in comfort and clarity."

I can't tell you how may times in this forum I've said I hope Oculus change that foam they use. It hurts my face and if it is a problem for me with Rift S, then it will have to go back. I really hope Ben Lang is wrong about the comfort, but I suspect he might not be after my experience with this foam. It's a shame if I have to send it back for that reason alone, but I'm not wearing a headset that is uncomfortable. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think his concern is more with the rigid part of the face gasket rather than the foam, but both issues could be fixed with an official or third-party upgrade. I could certainly see someone like VR Covers offering alternate-shape face gaskets, along with their pu leather pads. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@nalex66 - I emailed VR Cover to see if they are going to make something. Strangely enough they already have something for the Oculus Quest, but I think that might be because it's identical to the Rift CV1.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I’ve already ordered my Quest one. They’ve said that their Rift S product will take a while... Hopefully because they’re working on multi-version solutions rather than just replicating the existing Rift S interface. Their CV1 kits include two different shapes (regular and longer for glasses). Perhaps for Rift S they’ll make a wide/shallow one to help get the lenses closer to the eyes. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

ShocksVR
Superstar

nalex66 said:

....Perhaps for Rift S they’ll make a wide/shallow one to help get the lenses closer to the eyes. 

Now that would be interesting !! Hopefully that's an option.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Badass. Thus, Skyrim will no longer be the most talked about "modded thing in VR."

GLORIOUS!!