cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

MikePixelPusher
Protege

paolo666 said:

Zemzam said:

Anybody having success with laptops, specifically MSI laptops?

I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 

This is what support sent me:

"We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

I had returned mine before I could try it. It might work for you.

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

I tried everything else. Even a windows reinstall.  But this Beta Driver seems fine. I had a black screen/No sound problem before and to get it working, I always had to switch display ports after very reboot. 

But this Beta driver seems to fix that! 

Good luck! 

Awesome paolo666! Anybody else with the same or similar MSI Laptop have success?  Thanks
I may buy it again and give it a try...
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @MikePixelPusher,

We have seen reports of this issue with MSI laptops and although we are not sure of the root cause at this point, we would like to recommend that you try rolling back to an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver. More information and troubleshooting steps on this can be found here: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

Thanks, -Aidan
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Any updates? Any successes? 

noomi85
Honored Guest
I am returning my Rift S today.

I have scoured the internet for solutions over the last 3 days and have tried everything. Reddit tips, youtube tips, oculus support tips... everything! Uninstall, reinstall, drivers, plug into different ports, delete folders, roll back drivers... etc Support gave me the basic unplug/replug download beta driver.

The one thing that briefly worked for my was restoring my pc to a few days back. However after updating Windows to 1903 the issue had returned again, and now will not go away. So I am out of options. I really would have loved to keep the oculus because VR is amazing, but it just wont work so back it goes.

Completely black screen, cant do anything.

Crimson-King
Honored Guest
Just got my Rift S last week,  and have had this problem since day one. Tried all the things mentioned here to no avail. Also, current configuration for inside out tracking is not good with FPS games. 

Returning it tomorrow and putting the money towards an Index. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
On Win1903 (not MSI but Dell XPS8930 i7 Intel 200 series), after a few days got blackscreen after playing great for about 12hours with the usual occasional white flashes. Tried all things known and last resort before a clean install was REPAIR.
So I download you latest SETUP file, restore Share privileges to 2nd Drive Oculus Folder and run it Repair...
I get the latest 1.38 (I checked) Update and Firmware, Headset still connected, I put in new charged batteries for Touch and all goes well and get the Firmware Updates too.
THEN I get a 2nd Update for Oculus and Firmware and it does it all over again BUT IT INSTALLS 1.37 again!!!
SO WTF??? Did you stop the Updates now or what because this is now just a bloody mess!!!
(still blackscreen and back where I was)

bateman73
Honored Guest
Hi folks,
i had the problem, that my rift s shows NOTHING (black screen) when i was ask to finish the setup by putting on my rift and continue the steps.
I searched the Internet for a solution and i found this thread seeing that many people seem to have a similar problem.

- i installed newest nvidia Drivers (430.86)
- i updated my Firmware (1.7.1) and software by switching to test-channel in Oculus app
- i updated Windows to 1903
- i switched every DisplayPort and USB 3 port on my pc

Nothing of this resolved the problem. even worse: after installing 1.7.1 Firmware, the app told me that the DiplayPort is not connected. This problem didn't occur before the update...
I opened a support ticket (1 week ago!!!) no answer yet. So this support is terrible and it seems they take a shit about  their customers.

Luckly i bought mine at a local store so i brought it back and ask if they can test the device on another pc. They did and the result was the same. So they took another, new one and checked this device also...and it worked without any problems.

so all of you having this "black screen/ no image during setup" problem:  it seems to be a Hardware issue. 

MikePixelPusher
Protege
I got it to work! I stopped the headset going black after 30 secs. I played for 3+ hours yesterday.

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

Hopefully it stays working. Did this work for anyone else?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are none MSI owners to try 417 also I wonder?
430.86 had worked since launch!

MikePixelPusher
Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

Are none MSI owners to try 417 also I wonder?
430.86 had worked since launch!

Yea 430.86 did not work for me. Not sure why its working for you...  But I will try them again. I also have not tried the Oculus beta drivers either.