cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1: Sell it or Keep it?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
For any existing Rift CV1 owners who plan to upgrade to Rift-S... what will you do with your legacy Rift CV1?
Pre-orders start shipping soon. Almost time to say bye-bye to physical sensors.

5jfk45tlcao6.jpg
31 REPLIES 31

ShocksVR
Superstar
Sold it and maximized it's resell value now, and use that money towards the S.
The design defects with the right ribbon cable failure and the failing IPD adjustment are ticking time bombs.  It's gonna happen, it's just a matter of when.

Besides, the S has so many quality of life improvements.  The 21st can;t get here soon enough !!
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Rift CV1 has served me quite well for 2.5 years. Never a moments trouble. And I am talking practically daily use here ever since getting it. Dang thing has just been solid as a rock all along.
Even with my paying full original price, I feel I have more than got my money's worth.

It will be a little sad unplugging it for likely the last time, but hopefully the excitement I will get after strapping the new Rift S on will quickly make me so glad I did this upgrade. 
If this is the case, as for my CV1 - I will gently pack her back up in the original box, and put up and away in a safe space for retirement. I will not be selling it, but will keep for nostalgic reasons. And at some point in a few years time, if I am still around, pull her out of the box and reminiscent of how VR once was, and what my first VR experience was like.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I will keep mine to play VR games with the kids.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I voted that I'm keeping it because I'm not selling it. I'm going to give it to a mate and his family because they've been great to me over the years and he recently lost his job and started a lesser paid one. B)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Well I voted that I'm keeping it because I'm not selling it. I'm going to give it to a mate and his family because they've been great to me over the years and he recently lost his job and started a lesser paid one.

Aww, that's a sweet story, baby. Come hugs me!

NeloDiavolo
Protege
I'll never sell my CV1. Take it to the grave I will! Eventually I will pick up an S on sale, but my heart will always be with my original Rift.  ❤️

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

For any existing Rift CV1 owners who plan to upgrade to Rift-S... what will you do with your legacy Rift CV1?
Pre-orders start shipping soon. Almost time to say bye-bye to physical sensors.

5jfk45tlcao6.jpg

Love the cool picture, that's awesome!!

I'm thinking I will definitely keep my Rift CV1 forever as a collectors item. I can show the grand-kids one day when they're in the Oasis what granddad you used to use 50 years prior to them being born and they will probably laugh at me! And then when I die they can have it and then sell it on ebay for 50k. And then using that money they can take a trip to Yellowstone National Park in USA and spread my ashes across the park.  😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I will sell my 2 touch controllers and 2 sensors but keep the actual headset. Anyone interested?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

CrashFu
Consultant

I will sell my 2 touch controllers and 2 sensors but keep the actual headset. Anyone interested?

Not going to hold onto at least one of the sensors in case Hybrid Tracking becomes a thing?

Or did you already have more than just the two?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Love the cool picture, that's awesome!!

I totally stole that picture form a VR Facebook Group lmao

Too hard to pass up, especially since I fought Thanos in my Rift! 🙂