cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call me crazy...

RattyUK
Trustee
Not literally (before you all do 🙂 )!
I sent my Rift S back for refund as it just wouldn't 'play nice'  - flashes, wouldn't start up without multiple restarts of the software or reboots of the PC.  Positively, the sound was great and apart from the rabbit right controller issue (I ended up with 24!) no other controller issues.

Reading here of the latest software update I bravely went out and bought another this morning.  This was a May build.
No problems installing (allowing a restart after firmware updates) go through the tutorial again then off to play.
A mess around in home, pick up all the Gift Packs, same odd behaviour if you grab the boxes too quickly, but otherwise pretty good.  Fire up Fallout 4, play for an hour before taking HMD off as it is a bit warm here today...

No flashes, perfectly behaved controllers, good fun had by me.
Now, the odd bit - I may be kidding myself but clarity seems much better than the first S, brighter colours, good blacks, sound is fine.

I'm impressed, shame I'll have to wait for indoors to cool down a little to bury myself in Elite: Dangerous again 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
40 REPLIES 40

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yes a bit similar but only a flash like a graphical artifact.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Yes a bit similar but only a flash like a graphical artifact.

@Techy111 -  Well I changed my CV1 to a Display port using a DP to Hdmi adapter and now I'm getting a similar thing on the Rift CV1. I have a feeling it's got something to do with whatever signal the DP sends to the VR headset that's causing this, or it's because I have extended the cable by another 9 inches. I already use a 3 meter extension on my Rift CV1, but I needed the CV1 to be on the DP instead of the Hdmi port because I purchased that Qled television and that's on the Hdmi port now.
My screen like blanks out every so often and gives that fuzzy channel look for a second or two, it doesn't happen all the time though and this is on the CV1.

lensmandave
Superstar
For me it's almost subliminal....blink and you'll probably miss it. I see one maybe once every two or three hours, sometimes never in a long session.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@RedRizla maybe you are onto the real cause. I have gone back to my trusty CV1 and it still performs flawlessly.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RattyUK
Trustee
Prett much @RedRizla  - a very brief (1 frame?) 'static' flash very similar to that seen when changing channels on the old Turret Tuner TV's (but you'd have to be really old to remember those 🙂 )
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RattyUK - I'm older but not what you could call an old codger. Definitely something display port related then because that's what I get even on the CV1. So maybe it can be fixed with an update because the CV1 is different to Rift S, unless they use some of the same parts. I guess the big question now is what would cause that on a display port and not a Hdmi port?

RattyUK
Trustee

RedRizla said:

@RattyUK - I'm older but not what you could call an old codger. Definitely something display port related then because that's what I get even on the CV1. So maybe it can be fixed with an update because the CV1 is different to Rift S, unless they use some of the same parts. I guess the big question now is what would cause that on a display port and not a Hdmi port?

(Being able to remember Turret Tuners gives away how ancient I am...)

I wonder if it is the pass-through cameras 'taking a peek' and an occasional timing glitch passes through that single frame, perhaps as they switch out?  It does seem to be so random that a component failure appears unlikely.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RattyUK - CV1 doesn't have those camera's though. Whatever this is it's also happening on my CV1 using a display port.

saami81
Rising Star
Im sure that Oculus/Facebook is adjusting those flashes. When done there will be hidden subliminal messages. OBEY; CONSUME; SUBMIT.

RattyUK
Trustee

RedRizla said:

@RattyUK - CV1 doesn't have those camera's though. Whatever this is it's also happening on my CV1 using a display port.

Hmm...  Sorry, I missed the point there :smile:
When I had the OG Rift I was using the HDMI port and a DP / HDMI adaptor prior to getting a monitor with DP input.

It will be interesting, if they resolve the issue properly, to find out what is causing it.