cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect my Rift S to my PC

Agonylord52
Honored Guest
Hello! I'm reaching out to ask what I can do to connect my new Rift S to my PC.

I've followed the steps in the app. The point I'm hung up on is getting my headset recognized by my PC.
Nothing happens when I plug in the USB or the Displayport cords.

I used the compatibility tool, and was green across the board. And I'm plugging it directly into a Displayport on my GPU.

Any help would be much appreciated.
48 REPLIES 48

RattyUK
Trustee

9. Enjoy my first ever experience with VR.

That is very good news!  Enjoy every minute 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Dirk_Tungsten
Honored Guest
I also had trouble connecting my Rift S, but managed to get it working.  RTX2070, latest Windows updates and drivers, clean install, and all that.  When the setup got to the plug in step, I got nothing.  The Rift was completely dead, not even the ding you get from Windows when you plug something into a USB slot.

What worked for me was to unplug the Rift, quit setup, and re-run the installer and selecting "repair".  It went through the big download again, but everything was recognized once this was finished.

Reinart_The_Fox
Explorer
Nothings working for me and now i got this email from support. 😞

Vanessa (Oculus Support)

May 23, 5:23 PM PDT

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the update. As we have finished all troubleshooting steps we do believe there is an issue with the unit itself.

Based on all the information you provided, we would like your Oculus Rift S kit returned for further review and have a replacement
Oculus Rift S kit sent to you. Note: this replacement will be for the full kit.

Please read all of the following sections carefully and then let me know if you have any questions:

What to Return:

Since we are replacing the entire Oculus Rift S kit, it is very important that you return the retail box the Oculus Rift kit came in, along with all of the other included components (headset, controllers, cables, etc.)

• Before sending your Oculus Rift S kit back, please remove the battery from the Touch controllers

• We ask you use plenty of packing material to protect the component during shipping

• Do not send any other items back with it because you will not get those back

Shipping and Label:

A prepaid return shipping label will be sent via email to
psyrix2_renard@hotmail.com
within 3 business days. Please use this label to return the defective unit to our distribution center. If you do not see the label in your inbox, be sure to check your Spam and Junk folders.

• You have 30 days from when you receive your label to return your hardware.

• Please alert us if you do not receive your label within the next 3 days.

Expected Timeline:

This process typically takes 8-12 business days, from the day you send back your current Oculus Rift S kit, to the day your replacement ships out.

Please note: We are unable to expedite the replacement process and advanced shipping is not available at this time.

• Please monitor your return package. You should receive a shipping notice for your replacement via a separate email about 3 business days after your return package tracking shows as "delivered" to the warehouse.

Regards,

Vanessa

Oculus Support

GERMINATOR33
Protege

I've followed the steps in the app. The point I'm hung up on is getting my headset recognized by my PC.

I used the compatibility tool, and was green across the board. And I'm plugging it directly into a Displayport on my GPU.

If your Rift S is not recognized by your PC (as was my case), go check in the device manager that all drivers are OK.

Personally, one of the Rift S USB Hub (there are in total 2) had a "warning", with the code 31. Already try to update the driver (right click on the device that poses a problem, set to day the pilot).

it is necessary to define the Rift S USB Hub which poses problem in "Generic USB Hub" Execute this:
right click on the device Rift S Usb HUB which poses problem -> update the driver -> browse my computer to search ... -> choose from a list ... -> you select Generic USB hub.

And there, as if by magic, it will be recognized almost instantly (no need to relaunch the app oculus or anything).

Maybe someone will have the same problem. I was on the verge of sending him away.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
support said all time the same thing
bad support 

i return mine  and stay away this company

StretchyCM
Explorer
Two users mentioned in various forum posts that there are problems with user accounts whose Windows user name contains umlauts or similar characters. For this reason, I did create a new standard windows account with a short 1-byte user name ("ocul" in my case) and there installed the Oculus App. WORKED FOR ME!

faalbane
Explorer

If your Rift S is not recognized by your PC (as was my case), go check in the device manager that all drivers are OK.

Personally, one of the Rift S USB Hub (there are in total 2) had a "warning", with the code 31. Already try to update the driver (right click on the device that poses a problem, set to day the pilot).

it is necessary to define the Rift S USB Hub which poses problem in "Generic USB Hub" Execute this:
right click on the device Rift S Usb HUB which poses problem -> update the driver -> browse my computer to search ... -> choose from a list ... -> you select Generic USB hub.

And there, as if by magic, it will be recognized almost instantly (no need to relaunch the app oculus or anything).

Maybe someone will have the same problem. I was on the verge of sending him away.

Yes! This worked for me! Thank you for sharing!

dmkvrt
Explorer
My Rift S does not work on both of my PCs since official 1.39 update. 1.39 PTC does not work either.
Headset is not recognized by Oculus software and after several blips asks for a firmware update (showing that it has 0.0.0). Firmware updates don't help.

Went through 3 days of all kinds of troubleshooting with Oculus support and 4 days of trying all the possible workarounds (except from reverting to the very old version of NVIDIA drivers, tried a coupe of not very old with no success).

Older version 1.38 (or reverting from 1.39 PTC to 1.38 while it was available) restored the functionality.
As the last resort I will try to install the very old Nvidia drivers (like 417.35 which I see often in the forums)

Oculus support asked for 3-4 more days to look at the logs and return with more information to me.

JDruelo
Honored Guest
Oh noh mine too, can’t connect the headset  😞