cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed 6' extension cables for Rift-S----,for $20.00

Eradicator99
Protege

Rankie DP Extension Cable, DisplayPort Male to Female Extension Cable, 6 Feet, Black

and

UGREEN USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 Extender Cord Type A Male to Female Data Transfer Lead for Playstation, Xbox, Oculus VR, USB Flash Drive, Card Reader, Hard Drive, Keyboard, Printer, Camera (6ft)

Sorry, it won't let me post the amazon links...I'm still new here.

Less than 20 bucks....No fuss no muss....it got me through a wall so now I have a 10x9' holodeck area. I did testing on a bunch of 10 foot solutions over the past few days(thanks Amazon) and none worked.  I like simple....no powered cables or repeaters unless I choose to take VR to my family room downstairs.

erad
9 REPLIES 9

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Absolute crap, none of those cable will work.  I have tried them....  However I do know what works, and am going to post a thread on this later this week - but for now viewers don't waste your money on these cables!
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege

Eradicator99 said:I like simple....no powered cables or repeaters unless I choose to take VR to my family room downstairs.

Liking simple doesn't make it right.

USB 3.0 nearly always requires a repeater every 5 metres to work 100% reliably. Displayport specs on length are a grey area, but it's also likely to fail for many people beyond 5 metres without a repeater. Suggesting that something that works for you will work for everyone else is highly misleading.

If Umpa_PCs suggestion turns out to be the same suggestion made by forum user bitzie a few days ago, it's almost guaranteed to work for everyone up to a total length of 8 metres, or possibly even 10.

Watch this space.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S

bitzie
Expert Protege
I have to totally agree with Ray_Sover. There have been numerous posts here and on reddit where people were 100% sure they found the passive cable solution for everyone, but they're definitely hit and miss. I know this because I have a few cables sitting here that were "confirmed" or "guaranteed" to work, but they simply did not. I even bought one active cable that only drew power from the USB port itself (which was confirmed by a few people to totally work) and it didn't work for the Rift S either.

Once you look at the specs for the cable types, going passive for something like the Rift S just doesn't seem like a great idea. Again, I found out the hard and costly way. Repeaters that use an external power source may not be the simple, elegant solution I wanted, but they worked for me and they logically should work for most anyone.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
@ Ray_Sover @ bitzie
Yes you are correct - you guys rock !  If only I had read your posts before trying out all the crap cable suggestions on here.

This is what was required to get my system extended, I suspect its the ONLY way of reliably extending the Rift S cable.

Here are the links that have genuinely worked for my system, and have made my Rift S so much more enjoyable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JFLHT81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH134L6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D949F59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thanks goes out to you guys, I was getting sick of spending good money on crappy cables, promoted by people on here who did not even have the courtesy to even display their VR setup, and simply don't work.

Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
You're welcome, but full credit belongs to bitzie for pointing me at the right components to get the job done.

I notice that your link is for the 1.8m 8K cable. I can confirm (as can bitzie) that it works fine with the 3m (10ft) version of the same cable too.

If you went for a 3m USB 3.0 cable as well then you'd quite likely need a powered hub for that to work 100% reliably. I'm getting away without one, but bitzie isn't, and we're both using the same 3m USB 3.0 cable.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Yeah, I only needed 6'.  My computer is on a shelf, and I needed the cable to reach the floor, and then the Rift S plugs in.  We were tripping over it & it was in the air whist playing, pulling on our head, giving a bit of strain etc.

FWIW the problem now is stepping on the cable - lol, but its made the whole experience more enjoyable.

Eradicator99
Protege
To the naysayers....you are wrong, plain & simple.

I taped both cables together then put tight against the sill of my bedrooms sliding door to the deck, allowing a straight path to penetrate the wall into my "play area".

I have been playing since I posted this.....any game, highest resolutions....fastest settings...no runs, no stutters, no errors.....

I run I7/8700, 2080blk, aorus wifipro, 32gb, 1 TB evopro, 1 TB Adata............ boot time, 9 seconds.

erad

kaha66
Protege
you can vote to request an official extension
with: oculus user voice

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
IMO if cables could be longer Oculus would offer an option every time I used extensions I only had problems.