cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash with PORTCLS.SYS windows error

Xarstealth
Protege
Hello guys,

something really strange happens today, every time i run oculus app windows crashes with portcls.sys error...
i read around that is driver related, so i opened app without usb plugged and app works..once i plug in back pc crashes....

i always have trouble in letting pc recognise rift S at every boot but usually usb simply dont work and have to unplug and plug few times...

nothing in pc is changed, i didnt change drivers of anything, windows update installed nothing (im on dev preview with same build since 20 days ) only updated things are defender database and a game but im pretty sure they are not involved hehe

any idea?
im running with an Asmedia usb controller, worked with lates drivers wich im using now
22 REPLIES 22

Shooter80
Explorer
Probably best to just go into Device Manager and disable the 'Oculus Virtual Audio Device' in 'Sound video and game controllers' its of no use at all unless you have a Quest.

Richooal
Consultant

Shooter80 said:

Probably best to just go into Device Manager and disable the 'Oculus Virtual Audio Device' in 'Sound video and game controllers' its of no use at all unless you have a Quest.

If that is what is necessary, and I have a Rift with Rift software installed, then it should just work without me having to manually disable anything. I don't have a Quest, don't want a Quest and haven't installed Quest software.
My install is the original from July 2017, never repaired, never reinstalled and never had a problem till now.
Oculus needs to finally release some software that works with their devices consistently.
They need to have software for the Rift, software for the Quest and software for Quest link users. They've proven that they aren't able to have one size fits all software.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

valentin_souric
Explorer
Hello guys,
Please add your experience to the bug tracking I've created so we could hope a quick fix or a workaround : (I can not post the link on this forum so here is the path)
Google Oculus changelog > click the first link > click the small bug icon at the bottom left corner > "Last Oculus software update make system crash : Blue screen of death irql_not_less_or_equal (portcls.sys failed)"

mc_conor
Explorer
Just got this BSOD after the update for the first time.

Hello guys,
Please add your experience to the bug tracking
I've created so we could hope a quick fix or a workaround : (I can not
post the link on this forum so here is the path)
Google Oculus
changelog > click the first link > click the small bug icon at the
bottom left corner > "Last Oculus software update make system crash :
Blue screen of death irql_not_less_or_equal (portcls.sys failed)"

I cannot report this as
"

Ooops

This is the bug reporting page for Developers. If you are a user needing help with an Oculus device, please visit  If you are a developer, please make sure you are signed in with an Oculus account tied to your company organization.

"

valentin_souric
Explorer
@mc_conor
hmm, I was not aware about that.. thanks for the feedback.
May be instead you could provide feedback through oculus software help center as it seem to be the way devs wan't to get feedback on released (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/89305/pc-software-build-17-0-release-notes).
nqkia5xluhmz.jpg

mc_conor
Explorer
Cool, sent the report with sytem info.

mc_conor
Explorer
Just had BSOD for second time since the new update when i start the oculus app.

Never had this issue before.

I have disabled Oculus Virtual Audio Device and try that, but from my issue it seems to be the new update has caused it.

aqmarkey76
Honored Guest
I had the same issue. My computer would BSOD shortly after booting up if my Rift was connected, but would run fine if I disconnected it.  I ended up completely purging all Oculus software and re-installing it from a fresh download of the setup program, then updating again.  Since then, I haven't seen the error.

valentin_souric
Explorer
Blue screen of death irql_not_less_or_equal (portcls.sys failed) now fixed in oculus software : 17.0.0.183.462
with oculus quest headset version :
- system version : 6023800249000000
- version : 16.0.0.138.450.210938897
- runtime version : 16.0.0.139.450.210946745
(For me)

mc_conor
Explorer
I re-enabled the oculus virtual audio driver after the new oculus update in order to isolate if the issue was indeed the oculus software version prior.

No BSODs since the new update so must have been the preceeding oculus software version causing the issue