cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Port to HDMI adapter - why should I need to buy adapters! WHERE IS THE HDMI connector

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
Oculus wanted to make the Rift S easier to setup for users yet they fail to provide a way to to make the most basic of connections. My Asus laptop only has an HDMI output, meaning that I cannot connect my Rift S without need an adapter. They include a Display Port to Mini DP adapter, but nothing for users that NEED to connect to HDMI. This is not making the user experience better. I cannot believe that such a basic requirement has not been thought through and provided for.

I went though all this setup nonsense with the original Rift (USB ports not good enough, plus needing DP adapters for my desktop). Now it starts all over again...
Very, very disappointing that straight out of the box I'm sat here needing adapters and unable to use it. GRRRRR
26 REPLIES 26

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems you bought a HMD without checking what kind of output the Rift-S needs. That simply cannot be Oculus' problem, right?  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
When they make a huge deal of wanting to make the setup process easy and bring VR to the masses - but then fail to provide the most widely used connection that's prevalent on almost every machine that exists. They have clearly overlooked the basics. Would I have still bought it? Yes. Will I fix it? Yes.
Not the point though, they have failed their own mission statement.

LZoltowski
Champion
Are there even high bandwidth DP to HDMI converters? The DP and HDMI signals are completely different so you would need an active converter. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
Not sure but I will update the post once i do in case it helps anyone else 😕

Techy111
MVP
MVP
HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter Converter,4K@30Hz,Active HDMI to DP Female Adaptor Lead with Audio,Not Bidirectional,HDMI Source In Display Port Out Adaptador for XBOX One,NS,Mac,PC to Monitor,1080P@60Hz https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G796JF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nvDdDb7DR12MD
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

AlexAtkinUK
Protege
I wouldn't hold your breath: https://support.oculus.com/703013856799593/

I assumed they used DisplayPort this time because there are more GPUs that can support the resolution and frame rate over DisplayPort than HDMI.  I believe DP is more reliable at long cable lengths than HDMI at higher bandwidths.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
HDMI Connection with Third-party Adapter: Currently, there are no known adapters that will work from HDMI → DP. If this changes, we'll update this article to include any supported adapters. Until then, we don't recommend trying to use Rift S with any PC or laptop that does not have a DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort

Good spot.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

thumbs_of_doom
Protege
To be fair, they also said do not use adapters for the original Rift - but they worked just fine in my experience - I guess the point is if they don't recommend it, they are not held responsible.

I've found this from Scan.co.uk:

It supports the higher res and also a high refresh rate - 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz [down to 30 Hz @ 4096x2160 ] so hopefully somewhere in between at the Rift res (2560x1440 80hz). Will post back when I've tried it (Monday).

Still think they should include one with the Rift!!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Let us know how it goes mate