cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the current Oculus Rift Touch controller work with the new Oculus Rift S?

Rahotep
Protege
I would like to understand if the "old" Touch controller will work with the new Rift S headset.
18 REPLIES 18

falken76
Expert Consultant
They probably won't.  The new controllers have the ring above the hand on the Rift S so the cameras from the headset have a better view of the controllers.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Another reason not to get the Rift-S - I truly love Touch. The new Rift-S controllers don't seem to protect my fingers, when I hit a brick wall from time to time (and I do):

Image result for rift-s controller

Compared to my protective Touch semi-gloves 🙂

Image result for oculus touch

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

CrashFu
Consultant
It's possible that they could work, if the IR light patterns are the same?   But yeah, occlusion would be a problem, since most of the time your own hands are going to be blocking the rings from the headset's view.

As someone with very large hands, I'm thinking the flipped ring might be more comfortable for me to hold.  (will be able to stretch out those individual digits more easily)

At the same time, I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference to the center of gravity?  Hopefully not, since the ring section itself doesn't really weigh much?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't know if it’s been stated officially, but I read that the new Touch controllers will work with Quest, S, and CV1, but the old controllers will not work with Quest or S. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

I don't know if it’s been stated officially, but I read that the new Touch controllers will work with Quest, S, and CV1, but the old controllers will not work with Quest or S

Lujho
Expert Protege

nalex66 said:

but I read that the new Touch controllers will work with... CV1

Yeah Mike from VR Oasis said that on his latest video, but that's the only time I've heard it. If true, that's interesting, because it means there really is no technical barrier to using the Rift S and its controllers but also using the sensors for extra tracking coverage (not that I think it's needed in 99% of cases). Whether Oculus actually implement that functionality is another story.

Tested's Jeremy Williams said they (Rift-S controllers) can be paired with either the Quest or Rift-S so it seems so.

rgrlee
Protege
I read the Rift-S controllers will work with the CV1, but not the other way around.

dinkster1975
Explorer
better question might be,

anyone knows if it will be possible to use a rift s headset with original rift controllers, keeping the rift 1 sensors installed.

i could see this working in steam vr where you can tell steam vr to use multiple drivers (mixing wmr with steam wand controllers for example) but not sure it anything like that is available in rift core.

its a bit poor that they didn't think about this combo and maybe add constellation leds to the rift s so we could just replace the head set in existing setups and benefit from a higher resolution display without having to change our playspace, like what steam did with the vive to vive pro upgrade