cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVERY update screws my rift over!

Anonymous
Not applicable
honestly im beyond sick of this. Its every update WITHOUT fail. I run the setup and everything is fine. Before the update my headset worked flawlessly. Now just after guardian the setup quits and i get a hmd error. WHY cant oculus just give cv1 users a final stable release instead of constantly updating their spyware just to annoy people. 3 times now. every time i have had to spend days messing with software to get it to work. and every update screws it up. safe to say im staying WELL away from anything oculus. their software is abysmal. I have attached a log in case it helps but im starting to think its not worth anyone's time. There was NO need to update my software. I restart my pc, I update mobo drivers and i DDU and re install nvidia drivers but nothing works. Thanks oculus!
21 REPLIES 21

Megalithik
Expert Protege
Edit your hosts file so it can't ever talk to oculus again.   Download all your Home games so you can play them and then cut off all communications with oculus and switch to SteamVR for games and mulitplayer stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit your hosts file so it can't ever talk to oculus again.   Download all your Home games so you can play them and then cut off all communications with oculus and switch to SteamVR for games and mulitplayer stuff.

OMFG how do i do this?!?!?! Im trying to fix it as we speak. if i can get it to work that would be golden. i only use steamVR

BCause
Explorer
Add this line to your hosts file:
127.0.0.1       graph.oculus.com

HiThere_
Superstar

Its every update WITHOUT fail.

Are you getting any better at fixing their mess ? They might have a job for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BCause said:

Could you explain more? where is the host file sorry i cant find it

Techy111
MVP
MVP

BCause said:

Try adding the following to the end of the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc) 31.13.95.61 graph.oculus.com

Or use the other one = 127.0.0.1

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

BCause said:

Try adding the following to the end of the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc) 31.13.95.61 graph.oculus.com

so im in the driver folder with all the .dll's but which one is it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Keep going into the folder labeled, "etc."  Inside that folder is a file called "hosts."

I can confirm that this works. Its really a shame when we have to block updates just to keep our headsets on. The only permanent solution is to buy anything but Oculus for your next headset.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

Keep going into the folder labeled, "etc."  Inside that folder is a file called "hosts."

I can confirm that this works. Its really a shame when we have to block updates just to keep our headsets on. The only permanent solution is to buy anything but Oculus for your next headset.

Valve also constantly forces SteamVR updates, not sure that's much different.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"