cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous in VR

Elite_Dangerous
Explorer
I play ED and would like to play in VR mode...Can the Rift S do this, or can I only play the VR games in the library?
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AngryKFP
Protege
You certainly can, you just need to select the correct option in the elite graphics settings.

View solution in original post

Elite_Dangerous
Explorer
Many thanks for answering my question AngryKFP....Now all I need to do is get one on order  😉

kojack
MVP
MVP

ED-Player said:

I've been playing it since it was first released on the Amiga.....it has changed a lot since then....look forward to trying it in VR. Will find out on Saturday when it arrives 🙂 

I started on Elite on the C64, then Elite Plus and Elite 2 on the Amiga, then Elite 3 on the PC (didn't get into that one as much). 🙂

Elite Dangerous has native Oculus support in all versions (oculus store, steam and frontier store). I use the frontier store version (so they don't have to give 30% to oculus or valve). As AngryKFP says, it's just a graphics setting to enable/disable VR.

I was once limping back to the station from a bounty hunting mission in my heavily damaged Python. The cockpit canopy had been blown, so I had no HUD. I actually flew the way back standing up and leaning to the side, so I was looking through a small shard of glass on the edge of the window frame, just enough HUD was visible on it to see where I was going.
Definitely one of my favourite VR games.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

10 REPLIES 10

AngryKFP
Protege
You certainly can, you just need to select the correct option in the elite graphics settings.

Elite_Dangerous
Explorer
Many thanks for answering my question AngryKFP....Now all I need to do is get one on order  😉

AngryKFP
Protege
It's a whole different game in VR 😄

Elite_Dangerous
Explorer
I've been playing it since it was first released on the Amiga.....it has changed a lot since then....look forward to trying it in VR. Will find out on Saturday when it arrives 🙂 

Digikid1
Consultant
I was totally thinking of a different ED...... 😄

May want to see a doctor about that if that is indeed the case.

kojack
MVP
MVP

ED-Player said:

I started on Elite on the C64, then Elite Plus and Elite 2 on the Amiga, then Elite 3 on the PC (didn't get into that one as much). 🙂

Elite Dangerous has native Oculus support in all versions (oculus store, steam and frontier store). I use the frontier store version (so they don't have to give 30% to oculus or valve). As AngryKFP says, it's just a graphics setting to enable/disable VR.

I was once limping back to the station from a bounty hunting mission in my heavily damaged Python. The cockpit canopy had been blown, so I had no HUD. I actually flew the way back standing up and leaning to the side, so I was looking through a small shard of glass on the edge of the window frame, just enough HUD was visible on it to see where I was going.
Definitely one of my favourite VR games.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

AngryKFP
Protege
I started on the Acorn Electron, it's still in the loft along with Elite on Cassette 😄

RattyUK
Trustee
I'll just point out that when you play ED in VR (apart from the utter WOW! factor) that when you launch it in pancake you will need to use the options to reset to your normal screen resolution.  But, be warned, once you play E: D in VR you may never go back...
Have a bundle of fun, hope to see you in the black sometime 🙂

If you have ED on steam, bought at a time they still gave you 'keys', or have a Frontier purchased version, you will be able to get a 'companion key' for free from Frontier, to launch it directly from Oculus.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Elite_Dangerous
Explorer
I got mine on steam and I have keys :smile:
Looking forward to tomorrow even more now  :smiley: